This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Recently, I had been approached at my place of work and was informed that a group of people had been trying to convince workers of the company to join a union. I have only heard so much about unions – mostly good things. In this sense, it didn’t sound too good. What actually goes into being a part of a union? Why do we see so many workers going on strike in order to get one for their companies? What are the good and the bad parts of being involved in a union? 

business document getting signed
Pixabay / Pexels

Handling Disputes

According to Smart Asset, being a part of a union allows for an easier way for employees to raise grievances despite their status within the company. Unions may also subsidize the costs for lawyers if employees ever decide to sue their employers. Unions serve as the cushion or safety for employees from being fired for just voicing their opinions. 

The Ability to Bargain

Utility Workers Union of America (UWUA) states that the workers’ bargaining power is the heart and soul of a union. If a singular worker feels that a new safety measure should be implemented at their company, they can only do so much about it by themselves. As part of a union, the whole entire workforce would be made aware of these potential safety measures. As a whole, their bargaining power would be much greater as there are more of them putting pressure on the company.

Workplace Safety

On the same site, the UWUA states that having a union can guarantee better workplace safety. When companies view their employees as disposable, they aren’t going to be too concerned about protecting them. Once companies become organized, they will realize the steps to make a more stable and safe workplace. 

Political Advancement for the Workers

Unions make it easier to advance the political advances of its members through the workers’ energies in national energies while making money at the same time. Unions help keep candidates focused on union-related issues, like the loss of manufacturing jobs.

They Get More Benefits

The most well-known positive thing for unions would be the fact that members are paid more than nonunion employees. In 2018, union members earned $10,000 more than nonunion employees on a 52-week paying schedule. They also get more benefits, including retirement and medical benefits. 

Employees Contribute in Order to Get Benefits

In order to enjoy the benefits of a union, employees must pay for it. The dues may come directly out of their paychecks or they have monthly dues. According to Connect Us, employees would also have to advocate for the union they are a part of. 

Harder to Fire Not-So-Good Employees

An immediate firing would not be typically allowed due to the collective bargaining I mentioned earlier. Managers must document each meeting with the disruptive employee in order to show they attempted to fix the problem. If someone is a union member, they can’t be fired “just cause” or “due cause.”

Higher Labor Costs for Employers

As I mentioned before, union members tend to get paid more than nonunion members. The back end of that would be the employers putting the money up. The employers would have to pay the price of the wage increase.

Golden piggy bank
Pixabay - Quince Media

Ultimately, the decision to unionize is a complicated one because there are many pros and cons. When it comes to unionizing, one would think that it only applies to people in their lifelong careers. Is it worth joining a union for a job that is only intended as a stepping stone to where you get to next? 

Chinyere (sha-near-ruh), a graduate student at DePaul University, has been writing for Her Campus DePaul since October 2019. She enjoys anything journalism-related and indulges in pop culture commentary and celebrity news.