The Most Iconic and Hilarious Moments of Beyoncé’s Renaissance Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Starting in May, the Renaissance World Tour (RWT) traversed Europe and North America with many of its moments taking social media by storm. 

The tour featured Beyoncé’s seventh studio album, Renaissance, which was released on July 29, 2022. It was heavily infused with house, dance and disco music. It serves as the first installment of a trilogy project. 

The #MuteChallenge with its successes and fails

During the performance of “Energy,” the fifth song of the album, Beyoncé sings “Big wave in the room, the crowd gon’ move // Look around everyone on mute.”

The idea was for the crowd to be silent for a moment. There were moments where the audience didn’t catch the drift and continued singing while other audiences understood the assignment. Many folks took the challenge seriously, to the point they got upset with those who didn’t do it right. There were also many thought pieces on social media about the failed #MuteChallenge

Blue Ivy Joins the Tour in France During the Performance of “My Power” and “Black Parade”

11-year-old Blue Ivy surprised the crowd during the Paris stop of the tour on May 26. Blue Ivy wore a shimmering silver jumpsuit, similar to Beyoncé’s. Social media users noticed the growth in Blue Ivy’s confidence and stage presence. 

The Fashion Was On Another Level

Despite the lack of visuals, tour goers showed up and showed out in their bedazzled silver outfits and replicas of Beyoncé’s tour outfits. 

There were countless instances where fans made exact replicas of various outfits Beyoncé wore during the tour. Sometimes, these replicas were worn  almost immediately after Beyoncé wore it for a show. 

Not only did everyone on social media guide each other on what to wear, Beyoncé officially called for everyone to wear silver during her birthday show in Los Angeles. It became a funny moment when Taraji P. Henson stated how her outfit plans were ruined. She had her outfit planned for months when Beyoncé made the all-silver announcement.

Not only did the fans and attendees bring fashion but Beyoncé and her dancers brought a wardrobe like no other. From the various bodysuits, like the Pucci multi-colored and multi-patterned one and the Mugler bee suit, to the beautiful gowns, like the Tiffany 7 Co sequined silver one paired with lengthy gloves.

Harper’s Bazaar has an extensive list of all the fashion and designers worn throughout the 57-show tour. 

The Nod to Ballroom in Both the Album and Throughout the Tour

With the album heavily influenced by house music, and featuring the voices of the icons of Ballroom — notably Kevin JZ Prodigy and Kevin Aviance — it was only right to continue that energy on tour. 

For one, each show featured a ballroom scene where the dancers showcased their dancing abilities. The Ballroom scene featured vogue elements from iconic voguers like Darius Hickman and Honey Balenciaga.

In another instance, Beyoncé mouthed “I Love You” to Aviance during the Philadelphia show, leading to an emotional reaction from Aviance. During the Atlanta show, Kevin JZ Prodigy was seen opening the show as his voice is featured throughout each show.

Julius, Beyoncé’s Security Guard, Receives Love from Fans

Julius has been a known part of Beyoncé’s inner circle for years and he has become quite known within the BeyHive. So much so that fans cheered for him during one of the shows on the tour. This caused him and Beyoncé to look at each other confusedly. She later turned to the other side of the audience and received cheers from them. 

Beyoncé Hangs from the Ceiling like Patrick Star During the Spongebob Movie

In the final moments of each show, Beyoncé is pulled into the air as “Summer Renaissance” plays and she sparkles in a silver Alexander McQueen cape. In one show, she’s heard saying: “Is that Frank? AH-HAH.” Frank Gatson, her former choreographer, who worked with her on various projects, including “Crazy in Love” and “Diva.” 

Chinyere (sha-near-ruh), a graduate student at DePaul University, has been writing for Her Campus DePaul since October 2019. She enjoys anything journalism-related and indulges in pop culture commentary and celebrity news.