#StopHateDumpTrump Campaign picks up speed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

A new campaign has surfaced that’s actually an attempt to derail a presidential campaign. The #StopHateDumpTrump campaign has recently gained traction with new supporters, especially those with high status.

The campaign’s mission statement details its purpose, “To call out Donald Trump for his hatred, misogyny, Islamaphobia, and racism and to give a platform for the voices of the silent majority of Americans who do not and will not stand for it.”

Photo by Emma Givens, found in downtown Chicago.

Since the beginning of his campaign, Trump has proposed dramatic bans on illegal immigrants and Muslims, all the while making cheap shots at women’s appearances. While he has been leading in the Republican polls, others have had enough.

Rosie O’Donnell, Michael Moore and Gloria Steinem are just a few of the thousands who have signed the petition to Stop Hate and Dump Trump. With big names spotlighting the campaign, there’s been a surge of support among everyday people. The petition claims to have a wide array of supporters including, “union presidents, leaders of worker movements, activists… religious leaders, teachers, professors, civil rights leaders, lawyers, farmers, writers, workers, students, heads of companies, intellectuals [and] poets.”

The website even hosts an entire page of Trump quotes that demonstrates his egocentric, racist, sexist and altogether hateful speech. 

It will be difficult for the campaign to face Trump’s billions of dollars and his now fervent supports, but the organization and its supporters are prepared. According to their website, they are ready  “…to let people across the world know there is another America that Trump does not represent or speak for and we will not be silent anymore.”

Which campaign do you support?