State of The Union Address: Why You Should Vote in 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Editor’s Note: This is an opinion article. Opinions expressed therein do not necessarily reflect those of Her Campus or Her Campus DePaul. We welcome agreeing and opposing views. If you wish to write a response article please email depaul@hercampus.com.

For many college students, January 12, 2016, was likely just another Tuesday. 

However, for President Obama, it was the night he was delivering his eighth and final State of the Union Address. After seven SOTU speeches and seven years of presidency, there was a clear feeling of nostalgia written on his face. There was also an obvious confidence as he spoke about the last seven years and the progress that has been made in America: 14.1 million jobs created, unemployment reduced by 50%, and the deficit reduced by three-fourths. (1) (2)

However, it was not the progress the two-term President highlighted, nor his hopes for the future that stood out. For me, it was the urgent warning given at the most appropriate of times. In November, the American public will be electing a new president, and with that comes candidates that will do and say just about anything to win votes.

In his speech, Obama noted, “It’s one of the few regrets of my presidency – that the rancor and suspicion between the parties has gotten worse instead of better.” He warned us against division, corruption, and passivity. He knows, like many of us, that there are flaws in our political system and elections. However, these are not issues that he or the next president can change alone.

“If we want a better politics, it’s not enough to just change a Congressman or a Senator or even a President; we have to change the system to reflect our better selves.” Obama said. He urges us “…to vote. To speak out. To stand up for others… to stay active in our public life so it reflects the goodness and decency and optimism” of the American people because the system only works if we are involved. The system can only improve if we care. 

I believe that at our age, it is easy to not pay attention and to tell ourselves that politics do not affect us. Many of us have never even voted before, but I assure you, it matters. The U.S. is currently ranked 31st out of 34 developed countries in voter turnout. (3) It is easy for us to take our freedom for granted, but when we choose not to vote, we give up an essential part of that unique freedom we are so blessed to have. So take an hour away from Grey’s Anatomy, Making A Murderer, or Gilmore Girls, and watch the address instead. Finally, remember the next presidential election is less than 11 months away and we have the opportunity to do and say something impactful as young people. So in the words of St. Vincent, I implore you to ask yourself, “What must be done?”

Resources provided by (1) U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics,  (2) Office of Management & Budget (3) Pew Research Center.

Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.