This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Malcolm X once said, “The most disrespected person in America is the Black woman. The most unprotected person is the Black woman. The most neglected person in America is the Black woman,” and he wasn’t lying.

On March 13, Breonna Taylor, an unarmed African American woman, was shot and killed in her own home by officers Jonathan Mattingly, Brett Hankison, and Myles Cosgrove of the Louisville Metro Police Department. Six months later, none of the officers were charged with her death; instead, they were charged with first-degree wanton endangerment to her neighbors.

I could say that I was shocked when I heard the news on the officers’ indictment, but I would be lying to you. In my household, my family and I have a saying, “disappointed, but not surprised,” and that’s exactly how I felt. 

say their names black lives matter sign
Photo by Frankie Cordoba from Unsplash

Black women in the U.S. are treated so unfairly. We are labeled as ugly and distracting for how we look, but when lighter women, specifically white women, copy our natural features they are praised for being beautiful. We are characterized as “angry Black women” whenever we passionately speak our minds. We are devalued despite all the wonderful things we do: raising families, creating art, developing businesses, and simply being the best version of ourselves. 

The list of injustices against Black women goes on and on, and I’m sick of it! As a Black woman, I am physically, mentally, and emotionally drained. I’m tired of the police killing my people and the government letting them get away with it.

I’m tired of Black women being treated like they don’t matter when in reality we do! If you are a Black girl reading this YOU matter, and I don’t care what anybody says or does to you. You are a human being that deserves respect and justice, and nobody has the privilege to take that away from you. Know your worth. 

Hallmark

I know these times are hard for everyone. Some of us are experiencing PTSD or high anxiety. I’ll admit that I’m terrified every time I see a police officer driving on the same road as me. 

My heart heavily beats with guilt for no reason. I know I haven’t done anything wrong, but then again how many Black people have died for simply walking on the sidewalk? How many black people have died just for wearing a hoodie? 

It doesn’t have to be this way. It’s moments like these where we need to band together and make the American judicial system fully aware that they can not treat us like this. Peacefully protest, sign petitions, and post links to organizations that support and benefit Black women on your social media. But most importantly, continue saying Breonna’s name so we can prevent the death of more Black women in America.

Hello! My name is Kennedy Curtis and I'm a sophomore studying journalism and creative writing at DePaul. I absolutely love the purpose of HerCampus and I'm excited to write interesting stories for you all to read.