Sarah Bertrand ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Sarah Bertrand is the current Panhellenic President at DePaul University. If you’re interested in going through Panhellenic Recruitment, you can sign up until Saturday, September 19th, at 11:59p.m. Thank you to Sarah for letting us interview her at such a busy time!

Name: Sarah J. Bertrand

Hometown: Wadsworth, IL

Year: Senior

Major(s) and Minor(s): Finance & Real Estate (Double Major)

How did you decide to come to DePaul? What’s your favorite part about DePaul?Well even as a little girl I knew I wanted to live in Chicago and work downtown as an adult.  Naturally, when I was applying to college, I had my heart set on city schools.  After spending a day in Lincoln Park, I knew that DePaul was going to be the school for me.

Talk a little about Panhellenic life and your role as president.

At the risk of sounding corny, being in Panhellenic has changed my life! I was so shy when I first came to DePaul; being in my sorority has brought me out of my shell and afforded me so many cool opportunities.  As President, my daily schedule really varies.  Some days I’m meeting with the University’s Board of Trustees, and other days I’m playing games with chapters to raise money for philanthropic organizations.  I oversee everything from administrative meetings to t-shirt design when it comes to Panhellenic!  My job can be demanding at times, but I truly love what I do for the community each day and have a lot of fun doing it.  Give us the low-down on the lingo: what is a PNM, what are rounds, and what is a Rho Gamma?

Good question!  Here are some of the basics:

A “PNM” is a Potential New Member.  Basically, she is any girl who is registered for sorority recruitment.  PNMs can be Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or Senior undergraduates.  

A “recruitment round” is basically just the amount of time that each PNM sees each chapter.  Rounds from 30-60 minutes each.  During the rounds, PNMs usually meet several of the women for a chapter and have some light conversation. Finally,  “Rho Gamma” is a recruitment counselor. They guide PNMs through the process and help my team and I run recruitment!

Do you remember what it was like going through recruitment? How did you decide to go through?

I knew that I loved DePaul’s city campus feel, but I also really wanted a traditional college experience. I knew that registering for recruitment would be a good idea for me and that being in a sorority would help me make friends and build my resume. I remember being both nervous and excited to go through recruitment.  I immediately began making friends, and from the beginning I knew exactly which chapter I belonged in. I met other girls who weren’t sure what chapter they wanted to be in at the very beginning, but by Bid Day we were all thrilled with our choices!

What are you most excited about this recruitment season?

As someone who is always been a leader on campus, I’m excited to take on recruitment, seeing as it will be my final project (I’m a Senior). Last year, as President of my sorority, I lead recruitment for my chapter. This year, I’m excited to be running recruitment for the entire community. This means that I am in charge of about 1,300 women. It is going to be a lot of responsibility, but I couldn’t be more excited to be in charge.  I’m really confident that all of our planning will pay off and that my Vice Presidents and I are ready to pull of one of DePaul’s most exciting events of the year!

Give us your elevator pitch: Why should girls go recruitment at DePaul?

As someone who has been a leader throughout her entire career as a sorority woman, I can tell you that being in a sorority and being a leader will pay off in the long run. It is because of my chapter and my leadership experience that I have a well-paying job, job offers for after college, and a unique resume. I’ve gained so much knowledge and real-world experience, all while having fun with my friends!

What advice do you have to PNMs going through recruitment?

My best advice would be to have fun and not be nervous! Recruitment is one of the most fun and exciting experiences you will have a DePaul! It is a time for undergraduate women to come together, network, learn from each other, and cultivate amazing friendships. Most of our chapters were founded 100+ years ago to support women throughout their collegiate experiences. I am proud to say that today, on DePaul’s campus, our sororities are still doing that! There is no better place on campus for a woman to come to feel empowered, loved, and supported.

Register for Panhellenic recruitment here by Saturday the 19th at 11:59p.m.

Tori Meschino is a lot of things with a lot of majors. She's a macaroni and cheese lover, a sorority woman, obsessed with Michael J. Fox, a binge-watcher, an editor-in-chief, the HerCDM president, a woman in tech, and a writer. She majors in Interactive and Social Media and Media and Cinema Studies, and minors in General Psychology (and a minor in Never Graduating). So basically she's everywhere. Oh, and she's one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus DePaul!