Style > Beauty

Protect Your Hair From The Change in the Air!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

As the temperature is decreasing little by little, our hair is demanding more and more attention and care. When the weather gets colder, the moisture is not as high as in the springtime or summer time. Our hair’s health is something we have to worry about throughout fall and winter. A few years back, I decided to get an ombre during the fall season that was not professionally done, but rather by my mother. If you’re wondering if it turned out horrible, no, it didn’t. I assure you. But what happened next was the worse. At the time, I did not know or understand the health of my hair and how much care it needed, especially after frying it with lightener. My ends felt like hay, all dried up, and breakage was not pretty at all. After 3 months I forced myself to get a haircut because my hair was not in its glory days.

Establishing a hair care routine is a must, especially when it comes to changes in season and after a hair-coloring process. Also to keep in mind is that there are many hair textures and types out there with different needs. From dry to oily scalps, straight to curly and so on. And so, I am willing to share some of my hair care routine secrets that I have learned over the years to prevent the mess I caused when I was younger.

First off, my hair is naturally straight and is a combination of dry and oily – all depending on the climate and my routine. I currently also have a balayage, meaning that I have lightened my hair (I got it done in July), and my hair is thankfully growing.

Here’s a sum of my hair tips! :

Don’t wash your hair EVERY SINGLE day!

This is literally stripping all your natural oils that your hair uses to protect your hair. Depending on how oily your hair is (don’t be offended if your hair is naturally oily, it’s normal), try not washing it for two days. Personally, I try washing my hair after 3 days but if my hair is covered with hairspray or other hair products, I’d wash it 2 days after.

Slow down on that heat!

Try not using so much heat on your hair. I’m speaking of your hairdryer, too. Too much heat can fry your ends, creating more split ends.

Hair Masks and safe products!

Try to put some sort of hair mask or product that would moisturize your hair, Lately after washing my hair, I’ve been using coconut oil to put on my hair leaving my hair soft and also smell like coconut.

Lastly, eat right, drink lots of water, and take your vitamins!

With our crazy day schedules, we tend to lean on greasy food and lack in hydration; try preventing that! Carry around a cute water canister or bottle. I swear when I see my water bottle in front of me during class, I drink water every 10 minutes. Try planning your meals and add some yummy greens. This meal planning can go a long way in your hair’s growth and save money too! Don’t forget to take your vitamins to help replace the vitamins your lacking due to your crazy schedules etc.

Be mindful of your hair, as doing these steps are so helpful for our hair’s health in this cold weather and daily activities!

Pictures are credited to Pinterest

Odalys Diaz

DePaul '21

I am a full time student fascinated by the world of makeup, hair, and many books! My love for nature has me outside just enjoying the air or taking walks to different destinations.