I Went to the Aly & AJ Concert and Got Whiplash From the Nostalgia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Aly & AJ were in town last week to play a concert at the House of Blues. If you don’t know who these gems are, they are twins who were extremely popular in the early 2000s. They dabbled in Christian rock, they were in many TV shows and movies, made pop music (some of which was in the Disney Channel Original Movie Twitches), AND were in their own DCOM Cow Belles. Most of all, they’re known for their hit “Potential Breakup Song.”

Photo via Me.Me

Needless to say, they are iconic. So when my friend asked me to go see them on her birthday, I said yes in a heartbeat.

The concert was a good blend of old and new. I had only heard a couple of their new songs, but at the show I heard so many more that I fell in love with! Their new album is very 80s synth-pop. Aly & AJ’s stage presence was wonderful, and they even made a point to talk about The Trevor Project and how people can donate.

Photo via Chips

You could feel everyone in the room waiting for the duo to play “Potential Breakup Song”, their #1 hit from 2007. The suspense hung in the air the entire show. Aly & AJ did an encore of about 4 or 5 songs, and PBS was the last one. I’m not exaggerating when I say that everyone went wild.

Photo via Genius

I don’t think I’ve heard a crowd sing every word so clearly and so loudly. I felt myself turning back into my 2007 self who played with Clikits while watching The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. My friend and I belted the lyrics, and it was even better because it was my friend’s birthday so she got to feel the line “Except for the fact it was my birthday / My stupid birthday” in her bones!

Photos via Amazon

“Potential Breakup Song,” “Like Whoa,” and “Rush” transported me to the previous decade and honestly, I got whiplash from the nostalgia. All of these songs that I loved as a child reminded me of how simple things used to be. It was nice to go to the concert and forget everything, and just allow myself to feel like a kid again. The entire show was me going back and forth between feeling my age and feeling 9 years old. I was into it!

Photo via Mother Jones

Songs are what make me the most nostalgic because each of them bring me back to a certain point in my life. The Aly & AJ concert was an awesome time to go back to being a 9-year-old when the song “Like Whoa” made me feel like a badass. Overall, I loved being able to reminisce about all the pop culture I consumed as a child – including Aly & AJ – and how it has shaped me into the person I am today.  

P.S. – Aly & AJ are talking about developing a Cow Belles sequel, so I can die happy now.

Photo via Disney

Anna Wolf

DePaul '21

DePaul 2021