This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Let’s be honest, breakfast is the best meal of the day. And no, I don’t mean it’s amazing to wake up at 8:00 AM and sleep through some eggs. I mean breakfast food overall. Whenever. Wherever.

It’s the most versatile meal. You can have it at 8:00 AM, sure, but you can also have it for lunch, dinner, even at 2:00 AM when you’re basically just eating, because it tastes so damn good.

And I gotta be honest with you guys, I know little to nothing about cooking. Truly, I am a horrible adult in this area. But the one thing. THE ONE THING. I do know how to do. Is make breakfast food. A breakfast connoisseur of sorts. I have spent years honing this craft, and I have gone through numerous recipes to provide you with the easiest ways to up your breakfast game.

For each breakfast item, I’m suggesting one common pantry ingredient you can add to help improve your breakfast. My goal was to end up with simple solutions that could quickly and easily up your game. Are there more complicated ways to improve your breakfast? Sure. But that’s for another day.

Pancakes

Pancakes are the iconic breakfast food. What childhood Saturday morning breakfast would be complete without pancakes? None. The answer is none.

Pancakes are already pretty amazing, whether you’re making them from a box or from scratch. But here’s something that’ll take them to the next level: vanilla extract. By adding in a bit of vanilla extract, your pancakes will end up more flavorful and delicious.  

Pancakes
Christin Urso / Spoon

Eggs

We’re gonna talk about scrambled eggs specifically because there’s a lot of room for additional elements, and they’re one of the most popular ways to make eggs. Honestly, I feel like eggs are either you love them, or you hate them. I love them, so amping up my breakfast egg experience is something I’m totally down for.

By adding in a dollop of cream cheese (or honestly sour cream, mascarpone, or cottage cheese, whichever you have) helps make your eggs even richer and creamier. Who wants gross, flat scrambled eggs when you can have a rich, fluffy breakfast?

Eggs Egg Carton
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

French Toast

French toast is one of my favorites. It’s deceptively amazing and delicious for how easy it actually is to make. If you’ve never made French toast before, I definitely recommend it. Honestly, it’ll only take you a few minutes to do.

In terms of improving your French toast experience, I’m actually not adding an ingredient. Instead, we’re going to focus on changing how you prepare this one. You want to leave your bread out to dry like you’re making stuffing. French toast, or pain perdu (“lost bread”), was originally made with leftover bread. This helps the eggs soak in without having the entire piece collapse. Just make sure you haven’t left it out long enough to get moldy! You can dry bread pretty quickly in the oven to avoid this issue or just pop it in the toaster a bit beforehand to give it that more firm nature.

Breakfast food
Unsplash

So, there you have it. A few quick steps for how to make breakfast foods even more amazing than they already are. I hope you enjoy trying out these tips and tricks and find even better ways to add to your recipes! Bon appétit!

Margaret is a Marketing student in her final year at DePaul University. In her spare time, she enjoys writing, volunteering, attending live theatre performances, and training for races.