Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Hey Hailey Baldwin, Death Threats Land Normal People in Jail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

For those of you who, like me, had absolutely no clue who this lady was until the internet went bananas over her marriage to Justin Bieber, Hailey Baldwin is a supermodel whose uncle famously plays Donald Trump on Saturday Night Live. Alec Baldwin is a national treasure for his late night comedic shenanigans. His niece, Hailey…not so much. 

I mean, sure, she’s cute and all, but in the real world, if you posted a death threat aimed at your husband’s childhood girlfriend on the internet, the police department would be investigating. Schools would be suspending or expelling you, and bosses would be firing you. People would be calling you crazy. Fortunately for Hailey, she’s a mega rich blonde lady, so she’s unlikely to see any subpoenas anytime soon. 

Hailey Bieber’s instagram

Hailey decided to post the screenshot above right after Selena Gomez released her new single, Lose You to Love Me, a song about self forgiveness and healing from past romances, and there is no way in hell it was just a coincidence. Some people think it’s specifically about her breaking up with Justin all those years ago, but that honestly doesn’t matter, because nothing on this planet justifies public death threats. What’s even scarier is that Hailey has over 23 million followers on the platform she decided to post her threat on. So not only did she publicly post her threat, but she told over 23 million complete strangers about how much she wants another person to be harmed. 

Theoretically, if Hailey was a regular American girl, she would probably be in college right now. She’s twenty two years old, the same age as I am. If you are a university student, what Hailey did gets you in serious trouble, not celebrity-gossip magazine articles. In the real world, it is not filed under “hashtag drama” or “throwing shade”. It’s filed under the “disorderly, violent, intimidating, and dangerous behavior” category.

No matter who you are, or whom you are a fan of, what Hailey did is cruel, nefarious, and inexcusable. 

Marta Leshyk

DePaul '20

Aspiring high school English teacher who hopes to help students learn to love and value themselves the way an old friend once helped her. Loves cats immensely, and enjoys iced coffee in the dead of winter. Is the proud daughter of immigrants, and learned English from Elmo, the ultimate PBS scholar.