Wellness

Feeling Groggy? Hot Girls Take Naps (Strategically)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

The mid-afternoon crash isn’t just a TikTok discussion, it’s a real thing.

The mid-afternoon crash hits me almost every day and it becomes almost impossible to work in a productive way. It’s been an issue for years, so let’s come up with some strategies to cope – even though they might not be successful.

The first solution’s to power through, though this has become less and less doable since the development of my raging caffeine addiction. The next solution: drinking an 8 oz. Red Bull as quickly as possible. This isn’t a healthy habit so drink it responsibly.

My preferred route is a power nap. It’s only possible if my schedule allows for it – which is rare –  but it’s far the most effective method.

The key to a good power nap is actually waking up on time. I have about a 50% success rate doing this because sometimes it’s hard getting up from a hot girl nap . 

Power naps are meant to take advantage of natural sleep cycles, which are typically around 90 minutes, according to the Cleveland Clinic. Power naps – should usually last between 20-30 minutes depending on the person – avoid the deep sleep elements of the sleep cycle. It’s less likely that the napper will wake up in a daze if they follow this closely.

Power naps can be beneficial for those who got a bad night’s sleep, they can also benefit those who don’t sleep well.

According to the Clinic, “a short afternoon nap can help you feel less sleepy.” Samuel Gurevich, a pulmonologist and sleep apnea specialist says other benefits include improvements in mood, alertness, reaction time, short-term memory and focus.

I’m still in the trial-and-error phase of learning to power nap, when I do it successfully, it’s always beneficial. I’m usually a little groggy and annoyed immediately after my alarm goes off but I feel the benefits after a few minutes. My power nap yesterday helped me avoid my afternoon Red Bull.

Lauren Sheperd is the Executive Editor at the Her Campus DePaul chapter. She oversees all editing and pitches for stories. Beyond Her Campus, Lauren is an Associate Editor at DePaul's 14 East Magazine, a tutor at the DePaul University Writing Center and a freelance journalist in an around Chicago. Lauren's work can be found in Block Club Chicago, The Harvey World Herald and South Side Weekly. She is currently a junior at DePaul University majoring in journalism and minoring in public policy studies and Italian. Lauren is also the Vice President of Philanthropy for DePaul's chapter of Alpha Xi Delta. In her free time, Lauren can be found listening to music, cooking and spending time with friends. She likes all types of music (except country) and her favorite artist is Harry Styles. Lauren also enjoys going to the beach and biking around the city.