Book Review of Anna Kendrick’s Scrappy Little Nobody

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Anna Kendrick truly broke through when she landed the starring role in Pitch Perfect, a comedy film released in 2012. Her cover of the song “Cups” from the movie moved to the 2013 Billboard Hot 100’s Top 10 songs, which only added to her rise in stardom. Pitch Perfect 2 was released in 2015, making her face known across the world.

Known for keeping her life pretty private, fans were full of excitement when Kendrick finally released a memoir titled Scrappy Little Nobody in 2016. The book is more of a collection of essays, as it doesn’t cover every aspect of her life. Don’t get scared when I say essays, though — think of them as short stories. Each chapter covers a different part of Kendrick’s life, and they range from hilarious to heart wrenching. If you lack an attention span for long books, this memoir is for you. Oh, and if you love Anna Kendrick, that’s a plus.

The little essays are so real, opening one’s eyes to see that Anna is a normal girl like all of us, calling herself a “Scrappy Little Nobody.” She talks about heartbreak and moving across the country alone. Kendrick is hilariously witty, but keeps it down to earth. She shares anecdotes from varying points in her life, from conflicts on the elementary school playground with childhood nemesis Tori to filming her first movie in the middle of nowhere in upstate New York.

Anna Kendrick reveals the double life she led growing up, acting in shows on Broadway and then coming back for elementary school in Maine. She reflects on her life, humorously leading you through her ups and downs in 271 pages. Kendrick speaks to the young women in today’s society who are trying to find their place in the world, using her own experience to make you laugh while learning from her mistakes. Anna’s book will leave you feeling like an old friend who she’s catching up with, so pick up a copy today and prepare to love her even more.

Anna Wolf

DePaul '21

DePaul 2021