This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

A revelation between girl and woman

From a very young age I’ve always been astonished about the drastic and yet exhilarating change from being a girl to becoming a woman. I would stare contently at my mother getting ready, applying her eyeliner, picking her favorite sexy high heels, spraying perfume on her neck then her wrists; the way she carried herself eloquently. It seemed like it was so easy to become such an adequate woman. While reading Female Friends I came upon a quote that explained my experiences with change simply, and yet wholly. “Nothing happens, and nothing happens, and then everything happens” (Fay Weldon). I found this transition from girl to women frustrating. It was like an ongoing battle between me and the world where I felt I couldn’t win (I was especially moody).

At twelve I got my period; I cried. Then I grew boobs; I cried… then I became appreciative at sixteen. Every woman goes through this process differently and it is a prime opportunity to learn about ourselves, when most people feel like it is destroying them (like how I felt at the time). I wish I embraced this experience as a girl, but I became scared and choose to fight it. The wonders and questions about womanhood and what it means to be a woman especially toady have changed constantly each time I think about it. There are infinite ways to manage this significant change in life, but it is up ourselves to figure out what works and what does not. These themes of self-love and self-awareness have continued to appear throughout my young adult life. Going to yoga to become more mindful, reading to become informed, talking to my mom and dad when I don’t feel like myself (practice opening up to people that love and will always support you).

As of right now, to be a woman is to be honest and true to yourself. Emma Watson, my role model, made a bold statement in her UN speech in 2014, “if not me, who, if not now, when. If you have similar doubts when opportunities are presented to you I hope those words might be helpful” (Emma Watson UN speech). It is cliché but its critical to accepting these changes physically and mentally. At nineteen, I feel like I’m accepting and appreciative of who am I, but always keeping an open mind to how I can get better.

http://www.unwomen.org/en/news/stories/2014/9/emma-watson-gender-equality-is-your-issue-too

https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/opinion/woman-means-today-480879

Hannah Bjorkman is a Connecticut native, but is quickly feeling at home in Granville, especially on The Hill. As a freshman at Denison University, Hannah is interested in mindfulness practices including yoga and meditation, becoming involved in the Women in Business club, and pursing her love for French here at Denison.
Just an average girl, living in an average world, with an above average love for love.