Tips for Eating Healthy on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Written by: Andrea Moreno            

Did you come to college hoping that you will not be among those who gain the famously dreaded freshman 15? It is very easy to gain those 15 extra pounds in your freshman year, but honestly, it is also easy to keep them at bay. With exercise and these tips on how to eat on campus, your body will thank you for not packing up the freshman 15!

The most important part of the day is breakfast. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard this growing up but it is in fact true! Breakfast can make or break your day and cause you to be hungry and binge all day or feel satisfied and make healthy choices. Some great choices for breakfast are a wheat bagel, yogurt and granola, or fresh fruit. These will help curb your hunger for the long haul between breakfast and lunch. If you can’t make it to lunch though, it is OK to have a snack in between, but choose wisely! If you get a sudden pang during your class, run and get a piece of fruit or a granola bar. Also try to keep a water bottle with you during the day to make sure you stay hydrated; this will help you know when you are hungry versus thirsty. Staying hydrated is important since your caffeine intake will probably rise during your college years due to late nights and early mornings.

Throughout the day try to eat more fruits and vegetables. These are so good for your body it does not matter the amount of them you eat. Your stomach will feel fuller with these additions to your meal, which will prevent you from grabbing that extra plate of pasta. Since fresh vegetables are so healthy you might think that you need to be eating salads to stay in shape while eating at the dining halls. You are wrong my friends! Be careful with the dressings that are rich in fat and calories; make sure you choose a lighter option than ranch all the time and eat salads spiced up with grilled chicken, quinoa, tofu, lentils, and fruits instead.

Now, I doubt that you are going to enjoy eating salads twice a day everyday for 9 months. So to keep it exciting, you can choose options like pasta with a red sauce, some grilled vegetables, and chicken. You can even get a burger “a la French”, without the bun, to lessen the guilt factor and still have a small side of fries. Speaking of fries try the sweet potato option they now have, which is way healthier and so tasty! Creating your own meals is a great way to have fun while eating in the dining halls. In the Student Union we have new options that allow for healthy eating to become an easy daily activity. The brown rice and the many vegetables available are a great start to a creative healthy meal. On the side and additions try to cut down on the cheese and sour cream, they can quickly add to the freshman 15 if eaten too often.

With all this healthy eating, it is possible that you will be craving some of the “bad” foods once in a while. Pizza, chips, cookies, cakes, ice cream, whatever your vice is it, is ok to eat it while here at school. The trick is to not overdose on the amount that you eat and to keep your cravings in check. Choosing healthier options more often, along with active participation in sports or other regular exercise will allow you to appreciate the way your body feels when you good food. Your smart choices will keep the freshman 15 from becoming your fate!

Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.