jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Shows to Binge Watch Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.
  • The Sopranos- Amazon Prime

I’m sure all of you have heard of The Sopranos at least once in your lives. It was a popular show on HBO in the late 90s, and it ended in 2007. I started watching it a few months back, because I always saw the case of the first season lying around my house when I was a kid. It brought back a sense of nostalgia for me to start watching it, because obviously I couldn’t when I was a toddler. But I’m nearing the middle of the third season now, and it’s so perfectly paced and gets you involved immediately, showing the lives and personalities of the characters. It’s a bit slow paced during the first couple of episodes, but it is worth it if you continue watching. If you like movies and shows about the Italian mafia and haven’t watched this, it’s going to be perfect for you. You can thank me later. 

• Modern Love- Amazon Prime

Okay, this show had me in tears. Maybe it was just my hormones, but wow. Modern Love is based off a column in The New York Times with the same title that has stories written about different types of love. It’s very inclusive, showing platonic love, romantic love of heterosexual people and people in the LGBTQ+ group, the struggles of love. It was such a great, uplifting show. If you’re stressed about finals, the upcoming semester, or literally anything, watch this. Each episode is about 20-25 minutes long, so, hello, perfect for a study break!

• The Haunting of Hill House- Netflix

This is for my fellow horror lovers. The Haunting of Hill House isn’t a show filled with cheap jump scares and lame music. It is genuinely thrilling show that got me hooked from the first episode. It is amazing and shows the dynamics of a dysfunctional family and the paranormal and normal struggles they deal with in their lives. I won’t say any more. You just have to watch it. Trust me, you’ll love it. 

• The Sinner- Netflix

The Sinner is a crime/mystery that has so many twists, but it’s super easy to keep up with. If you love to be kept on the edge of your seat, anticipation building for what might happen next, this show is for you. It was originally broadcasted on USA, so being a previous television program, the drama immediately starts. It touches on mental health, and the reality of psychological problems that anyone can face.

• Love, Death & Robots- Netflix

Love, Death & Robots is an anthology of animated short movies. These shorts are created in a wide variety of different styles, and each one is awesome and unique. Some of them have very realistic animation, depicting disturbing creatures and fantastical worlds, while others are humorous and have a more simplistic style. Either way, each one is worth watching. Some are longer than others, but there are a couple that last only 10 minutes. They don’t have to be seen in any particular order, so watch them however you want!

Any of these will be a great distraction from the noise and bustle of the holidays. Want to get away from your little cousins and wind down? Open Netflix or Amazon Prime and watch any of these shows! You won’t regret it at all!

Olivia Mize

Denison '22

Hello! I’m Olivia, a student at Denison University, born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. I'm majoring in Anthropology & Sociology with a Studio Art minor. I enjoy watching movies, painting, and drawing.
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.