victorious christmas?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
victorious christmas?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nickolodeon / Netflix

Ranking Nickelodeon Childhood Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

A recent hungover activity of mine has been something that falls along the lines of, once again, nostalgia. When I crawl out of bed on a Saturday morning with my head pounding, one of the first places I go is to the couch to watch TV. While this isn’t my proudest declaration, my TV time has become essential to my weekend plans. As a senior with a jam-packed schedule, I’ve begun to notice that I struggle watching complicated, dark shows like I used to. Therefore, I like to tune into the things that I’m familiar with and bring me joy, such as Nickelodeon childhood shows. Here is a ranking of the shows I’ve been rewatching:

5. Sam & Cat – While Sam & Cat was never my favorite show when it was airing, probably due to the fact that I had switched my loyalty to Disney in 2013, I’ve nonetheless appreciated the familiarity of the two characters. Sam & Cat hasn’t been in my room’s regular rotation but a couple episodes here and there have been welcomed.

4. Zoey 101 – Zoey 101 was another show that I missed when it was coming out but came to enjoy later in life. Zoey 101 ran from 2005 to 2008, meaning I was between ages 4 and 7 when it was coming out. Coming from a family that had me watching PBS Kids for as long as they could help it means I missed the joys of Zoey 101 in its prime. The California boarding school setting is undoubtedly one of major reasons people fell prey to this show, myself included.

3. iCarly – Placing iCarly third on this list is controversial, I know. It is nevertheless a decision I stand by and will continue to defend. This show was the quintessential American childhood show, but its darker, more serious history has made many of us rethink its virtues. Jennette McCurdy’s autobiography, famously named I’m Glad My Mom Died, has contributed greatly to this. McCurdy, starring alongside Miranda Cosgrove as one of the show’s main characters, reveals the good, the bad, and the ugly in her 2022 book. Much of the controversy surrounds producer Dan Schneider and his inappropriate behavior, which makes you rewatch the show with a new mindset. iCarly remains a nostalgic show for me, but some of the sentiment has been ruined.

2. Victorious – I struggled heavily with the first and second rankings with this list but ultimately settled on putting Victorious at number two. I genuinely continue to find this show funny and love the nostalgic songs that the characters sing. Set at the glamorous Hollywood Arts performing school, Victorious satisfied my love of performing as a child. Rewatching it now, Andre is 100% the best character.

1. Big Time Rush – And finally at number 1, we have the ultimate dumb-funny show: Big Time Rush. Focused on four guys from Minnesota (my home state!) who unexpectedly form a boy band and move to Hollywood to make it big. The characters are all so distinct and hilarious that it makes the show really fun to watch. The songs take me back to listening to the radio on the car ride to school and honestly continue to hold up. Without a doubt, Big Time Rush has been my favorite show to rewatch senior year of college.

Fiona Schultz

Denison '23

Fiona is a senior at Denison University who works as the Senior Editor and Co-Chapter Coordinator for the Denison Chapter of Her Campus. She is from Minneapolis, Minnesota and is pursuing a History major as well as two minors in Political Science and Environmental Studies. Her favorite pastimes include reading mystery novels, making curated playlists, and catching up on politics.