It’s Okay to be Clueless about Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

High school counselors are adamant about students figuring out what they want to do with the rest of their lives. Personally, I had to take about 5 tests telling me what I would be potentially be when I “grew up” throughout my grade school years. The careers they had programmed into the test, ranged anywhere from janitor, to teacher, to doctor. There was such a wide variety, but they were still limited. They relied on these tests to encourage students to pursue something other than what they dreamed to do. But I’m here to reassure you, it is okay to be unsure about what you want to do with your life. It’s a big thing, and you aren’t behind if you don’t know what career you want to chase, or field you want to major in. I’ve changed my major multiple times, and I still don’t know what I want to do after I get my degree, and if you’re in the same position, it’s a completely normal predicament. We learn from a young age that we need to have a plan for when we get older, but not everyone’s journey is as easy as that.

Even after taking all those tests telling me what I was destined to be, it still didn’t motivate me to be any of my results I had. What you end up doing needs to be something that you want to do. It’s easy to take the suggestions of the people around you, but if it doesn’t make you happy, don’t pursue it. I was worried I would be unemployed after college, so I wasn’t going to minor in Art Studio, but for me to be happy in my mind and body, I chose to do that because I’m happiest when I’m making art. 

It sounds cliché, but do what makes you happy, despite being told no by your peers and family. The choices you make will only affect your future, not the others around you telling you what to do. 

Olivia Mize

Denison '22

Hello! I’m Olivia, a student at Denison University, born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. I'm majoring in Anthropology & Sociology with a Studio Art minor. I enjoy watching movies, painting, and drawing.
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.