alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I’m Grateful To Be Thankful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Now that we’re a few days into November and the colored leaves are blowing in the wind, I can’t help but think about my favorite holiday: Thanksgiving. While we should be appreciative all year round, November can be a great time to get re-inspired through the comforts of home, family, and friends. Still need a push? Here are some simple tips from “Tapping into Gratitude” in this month’s issue of Health magazine on getting in touch with your thankfulness this month and always.

Acknowledge the “invisible” help you receive

In our day to day lives, we encounter people and products that help us in our typical routines. With a busy schedule, it can be hard to recognize every bit of help that goes into something as simple as your morning cup of coffee. While A.J. Jacobs was writing his book Thanks a Thousand: A Gratitude Journey, he mentioned that “It can take hundreds of people for one thing to happen in our lives.” If you take a few seconds to thank these helpers, you will make their day better and feel happier than usual.

Say “thank you” in a new way

There are certain greetings and responses that we all have programed into our brains. Hi, how are you? I’m good, how are you? Have a good day. Thank you, you too. Break out of these robotic habits and let someone know that you truly appreciate them with words that you don’t always use. The change in phrase will be refreshing and lets the person know that you really are grateful to them.

Make a list

Intentionally look for positivity in your life and your brain will rewrite its negativity bias. Compile a list of things that you’re thankful for in a hand-written journal or in an email draft, and you will always have something to look forward to for the next day. Rather than writing the same things again and again, make time to create new experiences like taking a new path in the park or listening to a new piece of music.

Accept the bad, then move forward

You don’t have to be overly happy in order to feel gratitude. You can be annoyed with your brother for playing his music too loud while you’re trying to sleep, but you should also understand how you would feel if he were not in your life at all. Being a sister, I can attest to this being easier said than done, but redirecting your negative energy will be worth it in the long run. If you wait to be thankful until you’re completely satisfied with life, you could be waiting forever.

Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.
Just an average girl, living in an average world, with an above average love for love.