This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Throughout my high school and college years I have repeatedly come across the idea that a writing or piece of art is inherently feminist, queer, or racially representative just because it was created by an individual who identifies that way. With this concept I have discovered beautiful writing, music, and other forms of art that I could connect with as a queer woman, whether or not the topic of being queer or a woman were being focused on. 

Recently a “Women in Leadership” article in my all girls private high school included a spotlight on Amy Coney Barrett. This immediately startled me because of my  knowledge about Barrett’s social views. Considering the high stakes right now when it comes to women’s rights, my high school’s decision to include a woman such as Amy Coney Barrett is offensive and hypocritical.  

As many have sadly heard, Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed by the senate to be the 115th associate justice on the United States Supreme Court. Barrett is only the 5th woman to serve and she is also the mother of young children. Sure, this might seem like an accomplishment for women without having the background knowledge of what she truly stands for- views that actually eliminate women’s autonomy. 

Amy Coney Barrett confirmation
Official White House Photo by Shealah Craighead distributed under Public Domain Mark 1.0 license
Amy Coney Barrett has a history of voting conservatively, and her views, especially on abortion and LGBTQ+ rights, could completely shift American politics to lean more right. Being a piece to a radically concervative agenda, Amy will be the key to overrule Roe V. Wade, the decision to make the constitutional right to abortion. 

Abortion is a human right and no one should have the authority to take that right from anyone. By saying abortion is “her choice” truly means that everyone should have abortion as an option. It is then the responsibility of the individual to decide whether abortion is right for them or not. Having the right to abortion should not be a radical concept considering it is inclusive to religious beliefs. Not only would women’s rights be at risk with Barrett in the Supreme Court, but so could LGBTQ+ rights. Once same-sex marriage was legalized in 2015, it seemed as if that was the final accomplishment the queer community needed in order to be more equal to their straight counterparts. This is not the case because the very right to marriage for queer individuals could be taken away by Barrett’s concervative agenda. Considering how influential Amy Coney Barrett’s confirmation could be on the rights of the American people, it is even more critical to keep fighting for our rights. 

After much reflection I have decided that feminism shouldn’t be inclusive to everyone. Whether you identify as a woman or not, if someone is deliberately working to take the rights of women away they are not a feminist. Just because Amy Coney Barrett is a woman, does not inheritly make her leadership feminist. Let’s continue to fight against an administration that has done everything in its power to hold the rights of marginalized people hostage, and further the hateful nature of this country.

Hi! My name is Gabriella Longo and I am from Cleveland Ohio. I am a sophomore at Denison University, and I am interested in majoring in Psychology with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies, and a Queer studies concentration. I have a strong passion for social justice, I enjoy photography, and I am a fencer at Denison. I joined Her Campus for the opportunity to share my writing as well as enjoy the writing of other amazing female writers. I hope you enjoy!
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.