The Facts on Sunscreen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

True or False: Sunscreen Edition!

So, it’s that time of year again, spring break! And I am here to tell you the facts about sunscreen! Please keep all of these true and false facts in mind and remember to carry some sunscreen in your cute little beach bag and try not to burn!

1. All sunscreens work the same.
FALSE!
When looking in the sunscreen isles look for sunscreens that contain Zinc oxide, Avobenzone, Cinoxate, Oxybenzone, Octyl methoxycinnamate, and Titanium dioxide because they protect us from UVA and UVB rays, which are very dangerous to our young skin! These ingredients do not break down as easily as others and protect the best.

2. Spray sunscreen and cream sunscreens are equally as effective.
FALSE!
Cream sunscreen is more effective then spray sunscreen because it offers better coverage. Although for those hard to reach places doctors say it is better to use spray sunscreen than nothing at all. A scary fact about spray sunscreen is that the chemicals put in the sunscreen to make it spray more easily can be very dangerous to our lungs if inhaled. So wear sunscreen but take the time to rub it into your precious skin!

3. SPF means nothing. You shouldn’t pay attention to it.
FALSE!
The sun protection factor (SPF) is a number that is displayed on sunscreen bottles. It typically ranges from 3 to 65 and refers to the product’s ability to block out the harmful rays of the sun. It is calculated by comparing the amount of time needed to produce a sunburn on protected skin to the amount of time needed to cause a sunburn on unprotected skin. So, an SPF 30 means that an average person’s skin will take 30 times longer before it is damaged than if the person was not wearing sunscreen.

4. I should apply my sunscreen 30 minutes before I am exposed to the sun.
TRUE!
You should apply sunscreen 30 minutes before you go out into the beautiful sunshine and you should apply 5 to 6 teaspoons of sunscreen all over your body. By applying before you go into the sun, the sunscreen has time to soak into your skin and protect you from the harmful rays. It should be reapplied every 2 hours and after prolonged sweating or swimming.

So what sunscreens should I buy?  I personally love these ones!
•     Banana Boat Sport Performance SPF 30
•     Coppertone Sport Ultra Sweatproof SPF 30
•     CVS Fast Cover Sport SPF 30
•     Walgreens Sport SPF 50
•     Banana Boat Sport Performance SPF 100

All sunscreen facts and images are from the Mayo Clinic.
For more information on the facts of sunscreen please visit the Mayo Clinic website!

Sally Maxwell is a senior at Denison University and will be graduating in the Spring of 2012. She is a Communications major and Spanish minor and very involved on campus. She is the Vice President of Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish Honor Society) and the Alumnae Chair for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. She plans to pursue a career in Public Relations or marketing and advertising, hopefully in a big city somewhere. Being born and raised in Ohio, she is ready for the big city life after college! She loves her yellow labrador, Beau, and spending time with friends. She strongly believes that everything happens for a reason and she is ready for whatever life has to offer her!