Dive in, Do Good: Anchor Splash with Delta Gamma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

In preparation for Anchor Splash, the biggest philanthropy event on Denison’s campus, over 300 participants scattered around campus in sorority houses, dance studios – basically anywhere big enough to dance- for the last month and a half.  Hosted by Delta Gamma, teams dance and perform synchronized swimming to raise money and awareness for Service for Sight, an organization that supports the visually impaired.

So when October 12th finally came around, teams put on their uniforms in anticipation of performing in front of hundreds of students gathered in the Trumbull Aquatics Center at Denison. Along with the team dances, the event featured water relays, abundant spirit and outstanding support for each participating team and of course for Delta Gamma.

Due to such a small chapter size (only around 100 people), Delta Gamma-Beta Zeta only tends to raise about $5-6,000 each year at Anchor Splash. When Andrea Bacho, the event coordinator and member of Delta Gamma announced the total sum raise, $13,136.50, one can only imagine the resounding cheers that filled the aquatics center. Yes, you read that correctly: THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS. This year was a huge success for Delta Gamma. This dramatic result not only raised the expectations but the spirit for future years.

Praise for Anchor Splash:

“It was so much fun bonding with my sorority.” – Kate McCarthy ’17, Delta Delta Delta

“Watching the synchronized swimming dances and cheering on my house with my sisters made for a fantastic Sunday afternoon.” – Hannah Cain ’16, Kappa Alpha Theta

“It was awesome. Just tons of people having a great time! ” Jon Sullivan ’17, Beta Theta Pi

“Anchor Splash was great to see all of fraternity and sorority life come together and support one another for such a good cause and a really fun event.” -Al Barnhart ’16, Kappa Sigma 

Laura is a Sophomore at Denison University where she studies communication and spanish. In her free time she watches New Girl and fantasizes about being Jennifer Anniston. She is also a member of Delta Gamma. You can follow her on twitter (@estes_laura) and instagram (laurajestes).
I'm a sophomore at Denison University from Boca Raton, Florida. I'm a psychology major and when I'm not studying, you can find me walking around campus trying to figure out what to do with this freezing Ohio weather, playing tennis with friends, or just looking for someone fun to talk to!