Did I Accomplish my New Year’s Resolutions?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

I make New Year’s Resolutions every year. It’s a thing I do. I understand that people don’t, and I understand why people don’t, but I like to set goals for myself. I made a few for this year, so let’s see if I actually accomplished any of them.

1. Stop spending so much money — Did not accomplish that. Hahahahaha.

2. Work out more — This did happen! I didn’t work out a lot more but it was definitely a marked improvement over last year. 

3. Sell stuff — I believe that I sold some clothes and a pair of headphones.

4. Improve your makeup skills/routine — I started wetting my beauty blender? I didn’t used to do that?? And using highlighter? I guess this counts.

5. Find even more life-changing movies/music — 100% did this! I found so much amazing music this year that I made a whole playlist for it. I watched fewer movies this year than last year, but my favorites were “Y Tu Mama Tambien”, “10 Things I Hate About You”, “Us”, and “It Part 1”. I hadn’t seen any of them until this year.

6. Give less of a sh*t!!!! — Still working on it. There were definitely moments this year when I gave all the sh*ts ever, so I’m not going to say I accomplished this one.

7. Wear earrings more often?? Why not right — Uhhhhh, nah, I still only wear earrings like once a month.

8. Learn how to be more photogenic — I didn’t put effort into this one.

9. Go on more adventures/travel — This happened! I went to Chicago, Paris, and a bunch of provincial towns in south France over the summer, and I definitely went on a few adventures this year.

10. Be a good Junior Counselor at your summer camp — This didn’t occur because I didn’t get hired back this year. I ended up making more money with my babysitting than I would have had I been employed there, but I still really missed it. 

11. Write more plays!!! — Did this! I was on campus over the summer doing summer research which was writing a full-length play, which I hadn’t done before. 

12. Do well in your classes — Happy to say that was accomplished.

13. Be more grateful — That’s something I can always improve, but I did work on being thankful for what’s in my life this year.

14. Read more — Didn’t do anywhere near as much as I would’ve liked, so nope, didn’t succeed here.

15. Get tattoo and/or second lobe piercing — Neither happened. 

16. Become a better person — You tell me if that worked out.

There were other resolutions too, but I omitted them because they were more personal than I’d like to share. So out of these 16, I can confidently say that I accomplished 8, which gives me a 50% resolution success rate. Which, ya know, could be worse, but could be better. Maybe I’ll be more motivated to accomplish my 2020 resolution, but I am proud of myself for setting goals and getting (some of) them done.

Hey there! I'm a Creative Writing major/aspiring scriptwriter from outside of Boston. I love to write, travel, listen to music, go to concerts, and nap. I still don't know what my spirit animal is.
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.