This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Cutting your hair is something that people don’t always think about. Its just something that needs to be done every once in a while. But it can be a really cathartic experience. I am sure that many people have heard that a woman will change her hair after she has gone through a break up, but really cutting your hair is a nice change no matter what. As anyone who knows has seen how much my hair has changed especially through my college experience. I’ve had it long, I’ve had it short, I’ve had it shaved, pink, blue, blonde, natural, permed. You name it, my hair has probably been through that style.

I find that cutting my hair or changing its color even are a controlled way for me to start a new chapter of my life or move forward from something that I may have been caught up on. A change in how you look is perfect for that because you no longer see the same reflection in the mirror. Sure its still you, but when you see something so drastically different in the mirror, like a change in hair style or color, it allows you to more easily move on with a new chapter in your life, whether you are moving past a bad experience or starting something new and exciting. It allows you to have a physical differentiation between life changing events. Also, its a lot cheaper than retail therapy. Getting a hair change can be expensive, no doubt. But changing your entire wardrobe is bound to be more. Plus everyone needs a haircut at some point, just opt for something different the next time you are in the salon. This last time I cut my hair, I feel so much lighter than I have in a while. It almost feels like a metaphorical weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I can have a brighter outlook on what is to come.

Grace McCurry

Denison '19

Hello! I am a German major and hope to pursue Educational Law after Graduation. I hope to share some of my experiences with everyone in hopes that people will relate and understand them better than maybe before.
Just an average girl, living in an average world, with an above average love for love.