Campus Celebrity: Maddie Quigley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Canada, Italy, St. Lucia, Grenada, Martinique, Dominican Republic, Dominica, the Tobago Cays, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Guadeloupe, Bequia, Iles des Saints and Tortuga are just a few places Madeline Jane Quigley, our campus celebrity, has blessed with her presence. Maddie, often referred to as just “Quigs”, has an insatiable curiosity not just travel, but for life.

During the summer she worked in a bio-mechanic spine lab. It was a lab that was one of five in a country that has a spine pressure loading machine. Companies that are interested in developing artificial vertebral bodies use the lab to test their products. Maddie following her passion made her way to coast to coast. She began the summer in Carmel, California golfing with her family then visited New York in July to visit friends from school.

At Denison Maddie is on the club rugby team as a lock and forward. She played for four years in high school and all that work has paid off because she is apart of a two time undefeated Ohio state champion team. Rugby has just become an Olympic sport and who knows, in 2016 we might see our campus celebrity repping the US of A.

Not only is she an athlete, but a tutor as well. This girl has the body and the brains.  She tutors for mathematics, specifically statistics, a couple times a week. Her passion for numbers was an important factor in deciding to be an economics major. In the fall, Maddie will be in Athens, Greece which will provide a unique understanding of the current financial crisis by living in heart of an economic collapse.

As a freshman Maddie was a DCGA senator. It was a large time commitment, but it was interesting to have the behind the scenes knowledge of what was going on at school so early in her college career. So far her favorite class has been Race and Ethnicity.

Hailing from Fox Chapel, Pennsylvania, this campus celebrity is looking forward to going home for Thanksgiving to enjoy a homemade feast and play with her dog, BBQ.

Maddie is also a member of Delta Gamma. She said that being in a sorority “has been a greet way to meet more people.” This social butterfly has flourished at Denison. Her tip to freshmen when they get stressed would be to get off campus and have an adventure with friends.

Some fun facts about this athletic, smart sorority girl are as follows. She prefers flats to heels, winter to summer, and puffy coats to peacoats. Her favorite movie is Iron Man and her favorite song is Don’t Think Twice by Bob Dylan. If Natalie Portman, Robert Downy Junior, or Prince Harry ever came to campus, Maddie would be more than happy to give her celebrity crushes a tour. Her style would be described as minimal effort that looks like a lot, dresses are an easy go-to.

“Don’t turn down any opportunities, follow your heart, you have to do a lot to find out what you like,” are Maddie’s final words of advice.

Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.