Bringing Back Middle School Memories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Last year, Suzanne Collins, the author of The Hunger Games trilogy, released her latest addition to the series, titled The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. The book is a spin-off and a prequel to the trilogy. When I found out about it, I got this huge wave of nostalgia. I remembered how obsessed I was with the movies and books in middle school. It brought back memories of going to the movie theatre and telling my friend next to me what was similar and different in the adaptations, compared to what was written. I remember devouring the books, turning each page with anticipation. My obsession was further fueled by my English teacher at the time, who also loved the books, and even dressed up as Effie Trinket for Halloween.

Being in my twenties, naturally I was a little hesitant on buying the book since I didn’t know if it would be geared solely toward a younger audience. I read some reviews, remembered my English teacher loved the original series (she was in her 60s) and bought the book anyway. I’m so glad that I did. It was extremely detailed and action packed. Looking back now, the original trilogy was pretty gruesome, and this addition was no exception. Reading it, I had the same anticipation as I did when I was younger, waiting eagerly to know what was going to happen next. To give some background, throughout The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, it tells the origins of The Hunger Games, revealing to the audience why it was created, and the stages it had to go through to be perfected. The story is told through the eyes of a young Coriolanus Snow, who we all know as President Snow from the trilogy. It makes the reader see Snow in a different light, telling us his history, making us feel empathy for him and his family. We are even introduced to a love interest we never thought he had. 

If you haven’t read the original trilogy, I suggest you do. It’s a good way to give your mind a break. It might be written for young adults, but it’s a way to escape from the textbooks and articles we read for all of our courses. 

Olivia Mize

Denison '22

Hello! I’m Olivia, a student at Denison University, born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. I'm majoring in Anthropology & Sociology with a Studio Art minor. I enjoy watching movies, painting, and drawing.