This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

As I anxiously await the limited Netflix series inspired by Angeline Boulley’s Firekeeper’s Daughter, I thought that I would share my thoughts on the novel, which was released in 2021. Oftentimes, I enjoy film adaptations of popular YA series, but I typically try to separate the adaptation from the actual books; it makes it easier for me, since I’m quite the overanalyst. I’m very interested to see the future of this story, since there is currently one singular novel surrounding Daunis, the main character. There is very little information that has been released about the details of Netflix’s adaptation, but until then, I recommend this book to everyone, since it’s very different from the novels I read growing up that severely lacked diverse characters, family dynamics, cultures, and beliefs. 

Daunis Fontaine’s life is unlike anything I have ever experienced, nor read about before. I entered this book with a sense of excitement, but after flipping past the final page, I honestly felt empty. Daunis experiences the normal sides of adolescence and teenage years… She navigates through a new relationship, hockey practice, social gatherings with her best friend, secrets between family members, and the typical drama that ensues between classmates. Just like many of us, I have also gone through these experiences, aimlessly exploring this transitional period one day at a time. However, Daunis’ daily life carries more weight than anything I have ever experienced. This novel has given me chilling insight into the harsh reality of a young woman of mixed heritage who finds herself in the midst of a corrupt community. 

I love this book’s ability to take such broad issues a teenager has to go through before they begin their future and zoom in on one very focused experience from a specific point of view. Yes, most of us reading Daunis’ story most likely have not gone through any of the experiences that she has to go through. However, this is exactly why her story is so important. For me, this novel symbolizes a window. Daunis allows me to gaze through her lens, observing the world through her perspective. At just eighteen years old, Daunis’ entire world has been turned upside down. She found out that her new love interest was an undercover agent. She unraveled the messy network of a methamphetamine ring. She witnessed her best friend’s tragic death. She had to accept her grandmother’s passing. She died, for a moment, from a bullet to her liver. She became a victim of severe sexual assault. Do I even need to carry on? 

The importance of reading Daunis’ story is not only to view the world through her culture, community, and identity, but to also show readers the vast variety of the young adult experience. I gained a sense of familiarity with the complications of her mixed heritage and the destruction of native lands. Angeline Boulley does a beautiful yet painful job at depicting these realities, while still managing to incorporate the archetypal high school experience that we read about in other young adult novels. Daunis faces multiple intersections of oppression throughout the book: She is a woman of mixed heritage. However, although I watched through the window of her life, I noticed that her story does not focus on simply one aspect of her experience. I did not read through the pages and remember the struggles of her being a woman, a girl with internal family conflict, a person of mixed heritage, a victim of sexual assault… I read through the pages  and remembered the combination of these factors that have formed her identity. I also remember the deep love she feels for her best friend, the appreciation she has towards her mother, the respect she shows towards others in her community, and the loyalty she keeps for her spiritual beliefs. My point here is that this novel was not written for us to focus on one aspect of Daunis; we are meant to immerse ourselves into her world, see her tragedies through her eyes, and feel the emotional tug of war that she experiences. The combination of seeing into a world that you cannot relate to and noticing small details that you can relate to is exactly why diverse, young  adult novels are so important for students. 

Boulley also incorporates numerous references to Daunis’ heritage throughout the novel; I really enjoyed the inclusion of this element. She was not just referencing her native language throughout the book; was using the words naturally, much like how she would in real life. The plot was not outlined for everyone to relate to or understand. I felt a little lost in her thoughts at times, but that is okay. Her trauma is real trauma that so many communities still face today.  

Annabelle is a senior at Denison University, majoring in Educational Studies. She enjoys journaling, finding cute coffee shops, and crafting in her free time. On campus, she serves as a board member and social media head for Denison's chapter of Her Campus, so check out our instagram @hcdenison!