This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

I like to think that we, as a collective human species that mostly believes in global warming, don’t want the projected consequences of global warming to happen. We want the Earth to survive and thrive while we’re all alive on it, and by “all” we mean animal species too. But let’s be totally honest with ourselves: When we’re sitting in our room with three lights on, charging two appliances, and your sibling’s taking a twenty minute shower across the hall, are you really thinking about any of that? Are you really saying to yourself, “Damn, I might be using more energy than I need here?”

Likely not consciously. There’s such a difference between practice and principle. We all want to do what’s right, but we don’t want to have to change what we do, either–at least, not majorly. And maybe, just maybe, in the back of your head, you might be thinking, “I’m only one person in eight billion, how much of an effect can I really have?” But if everybody thinks that, then things get worse because nothing gets better. 

person standing on field facing a sunset
Victor Freitas via Pexels

So what’s the solution to this? You have to be aware of what you’re doing. That’s really all it is. If you just take a second to think to yourself, “Do you really need three lights on right now?”, then you can turn one off. If you think to yourself, “My laptop’s at 94%, do I really need to charge it?”, then you can unplug it. And look at that: impact! Small but definite. Once you’re aware, then you can make the changes and help the planet the way you want–and the way the world–needs.

Why is it hard to be aware? Because we’re too absorbed in our own worlds and issues! It can be hard to pull yourself out of your sphere and think about the big picture, or think about things that aren’t directly happening to you. But the first thing we can all do is practice small things, and together we can make a difference. We just have to be aware that small things matter first.

Hey there! I'm a Creative Writing major/aspiring scriptwriter from outside of Boston. I love to write, travel, listen to music, go to concerts, and nap. I still don't know what my spirit animal is.
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.