This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

The months of January and February are terrible.  Every day is grey skies, frigid air, snow, sleet, and rain.  Thankfully, there is something that occurs during these cold months that keeps a smile on my face: awards season.  There is something so exciting about watching approximately 6 hours (if you include the red carpet) of TV on a Sunday night that cannot compare to anything else.  When award Sunday comes around, I sit down on the couch at exactly six o’clock with my mom and turn on E! to see Ryan Seacrest and Giuliana Rancic interview the A-list celebrities and critique their outfit choices.  There are four Sundays that make up awards season.  They start with The Golden Globes then the Screen Actors Guild then The Grammy Awards and end with, the most prestigious, The Academy Awards. 

The Golden Globes

The Golden Globes consist of TV and movie awards: best of both worlds. I enjoy The Golden Globes because everyone seems to be a little more relaxed than at the other awards.  There are a lot of jokes played, like when all the women for best supporting actress got on stage to receive the award, and most of the celebs seem to be heavily drinking.  The drunken acceptance speeches are the most entertaining to watch.

The Screen Actors Guild (SAG)

The Screen Actors Guild, in my opinion, is the least exciting of the awards.  Like The Golden Globes, they include TV and movies but are slightly repetitive after having watches The Golden Globes two weeks ago.  It seems like the SAG Awards were thrown in because people like me would get restless if we had to wait almost a month for the next award show to premiere.  Although, I get a little a bored during the SAGs, I still watch the whole show.

The Grammy Awards

The Grammy Awards are my absolute favorite out of all the shows.  I love the collaborated performances like, Taylor Swift and Stevie Nicks, and Lady Gaga always makes an interesting entrance.  The best reason to watch until the end of the show is to see who wins the most prestigious award, Album of the Year.  Usually the winner is well deserved but maybe that’s why I like the Grammys so much, because all my favorites always win.

The Academy Awards

The be all of end all of awards season.  I think The Academy Awards can be difficult to watch sometimes.  Everyone seems a little tense and nervous, and the acceptance speeches are extremely long.  However, The Academy Awards have the best red carpet.   All the celebs are dressed in the top of the line designers and there are usually a few risk takers that end up being train wrecks.

So let the award shows be your small dose of sunshine through these cloudy months. Don’t forget, red carpet starts at six!

Ellie is a member of the class of 2016 at Denison University.  She is an English major with an emphasis on Creative Writing and a Psychology minor.  From a suburb of Detroit called Beverly Hills, Ellie loves coffee, chocolate, J.Crew, and spends too much time on Buzzfeed.  Along with writing for Her Campus, Ellie is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity at Denison. When she's not writing for class or Her Campus, you can find her re-watching The Hills episodes.
Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.