7 Tips to Make Your College Relationship Last the Summer Distance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.
Here are some helpful tips to make sure your relationship doesn’t crumble to pieces this summer!

1. Plan a Getaway! 

Since the summer is a long time to be away from your boyfriend or girlfriend set dates while you are still at school of when you will visit one another in the summer. By having set dates this will give you something to really look forward to!

2. Don’t Text! 
Texting is a blessing and a curse. It is convenient to get a quick message across but for a summer of long distance you need more then a few texts a day. Make sure to make time once a week to skype or talk on the phone. Hearing the person’s voice can be reassuring and seeing their face can be even better! 

3. Do something special 
As a couple you should plan to do something memorable together that will bring you closer as a couple and can also be a learning experience. If it is possible to go on a trip together do it but if not you could make a pact to write one another a letter once a month and send it in the mail. Who doesn’t like getting mail. Or you could plan to watch the same movie at the same time while skyping one another. You may be rolling your eyes at this but it really almost feels like a date night! 

4. Take advantage of the time away

This may seem obvious but take advantage of your girlfriend or boyfriend not being with you. You need friend time. Have slumber parties and do girly things that sometimes you might not have been able to do with him a round. It will feel great to reconnect with your girls.

5. SURPRISE!
Who wouldn’t love to get an “I miss you” package in the mail? Get a box of your significant other’s favorite things together and some inside jokes between you two and send them away. Your boyfriend or girlfriend will be overjoyed when they get their package in the mail. This will definitely remind them of how much they mean to you. Don’t forget the hand written letter inside! 

6. Avoid “Dangerous” situations
It is very easy to see what your significant other is doing when you are not with them. Keep in mind that you are still in a relationship and that you need to respect your partner even when they are not physically with you. So this means no Facebook pictures with the ex-girlfriend at the high school alumni pool party and don’t “lose” your phone for 5 days and forget to tell your girlfriend or boyfriend. Remember to give them the same respect you would as if they were standing next to you. 

7. Be a Busy Bee!
The summer is such a busy time of the year especially when you are coming home from college. When you start to miss your partner more and more make your schedule more packed so the days fly by. BUT PLEASE DON’T WISH AWAY YOUR SUMMER. Fill your days with productive things that will make you proud to tell your girlfriend or boyfriend that night. The more you do the more you will have to talk about. Maybe even learn to play his favorite game and surprise him when your back together.

Have a great summer!

Sally Maxwell is a senior at Denison University and will be graduating in the Spring of 2012. She is a Communications major and Spanish minor and very involved on campus. She is the Vice President of Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish Honor Society) and the Alumnae Chair for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. She plans to pursue a career in Public Relations or marketing and advertising, hopefully in a big city somewhere. Being born and raised in Ohio, she is ready for the big city life after college! She loves her yellow labrador, Beau, and spending time with friends. She strongly believes that everything happens for a reason and she is ready for whatever life has to offer her!