This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

As my time at Denison comes to a close, I’ve been welcoming moments of nostalgia. So many exciting changes are near, and this period of transition makes current moments feel fleeting, so it’s been therapeutic for me to pause and reflect on my personal growth throughout my time in college. Over the past few days, I’ve been accumulating bits and pieces of memories and advice that I would retroactively offer to my younger self. Introspective reflection can be messy, emotional, and confusing, but if you’re at a place in life where a chapter is closing, I recommend this exercise. 

1. Some of your friends will change, and that’s okay. Some college friendships are formed out of convenience— maybe you live in the same hallway or you share a class together, and that’s great. However, keep in mind that in the coming years, some friends transfer schools, move into a further dorm, or aren’t interested in the same classes as you. Some of these friends will make an effort to maintain the relationship, and some won’t. You will also decide that some of these friendships weren’t meant to withstand these changes, and you’ll be okay with the natural falling out. Remember that you’ll have numerous opportunities to form new and fulfilling friendships each semester, even your last one. 

2. You’ll grow to value alone time more, and there’s nothing wrong with that. You’ve always been someone who becomes energized by being around others, so I’m sure this is surprising. However, you’re going to continue to be surrounded by people, and sometimes you’ll feel drained by the energy. You’re going to feel a sense of guilt for a short time because you’re going to feel like you’re missing out on important socializing time with new friends. Remember that you have so much time for quality socializing. When you feel overwhelmed or not social, you should separate yourself and enjoy your own company. This will also help grow your newfound independence; going on walks or running errands by yourself is going to be very beneficial for you. 

3. Your priorities are going to shift; accept the growth and welcome the maturation. You’re used to setting aside time to apply a 15 step makeup routine each morning. You’re also used to skipping breakfast and heading straight to school. Now that you’re in college, your schedule is going to change each semester. You’ll realize that you now have time to grab a quick snack every morning, and you’ll realize that it really does help your mood. You’ll also begin to prioritize long, warm nightly showers and a few extra moments of sleep in the mornings instead of the lengthy makeup routine. You’ll prioritize movie marathons with your roommates over online window shopping. You’ll care more about self care practices that benefit you, rather than those that benefit others’ perception of you. You’ll prioritize good conversation with your friends over dinner instead of scrolling through social media apps. More of these changes will occur over the next few years, and you might not notice them. Growing up is bittersweet, but you’ll appreciate it later.  

4. You’re going to get a lot more sentimental. You’re going to keep all of the little Valentine’s Day notes slipped under your door from your friends. You’re going to wear the beaded bracelets given to you by Granville’s first-grade students during your student teaching. You’re going to form attachments to your filled notebooks, small gifts from professors, and craft projects made at campus events. Your sentimental nature and inkling to collect mementos develops beyond the physical as well, with formals, trips to Columbus, and department meetings becoming increasingly more special. You’re even going to write a HerCampus article on the importance of home cooked meals with your roommates.

5. The future isn’t as scary as you think it is. You’re going to conquer many fears during your time in college, persevering through multiple periods of hardship, both personally and collectively on campus. You’re going to figure it all out— securing your first full-time job, signing a lease on an apartment in a new location, navigating relationships, deepening your self love, and balancing your present with your planning. Independence becomes empowering, and responsibilities will be manageable. You are capable of everything you’re worried about right now.

Annabelle is a senior at Denison University, majoring in Educational Studies. She enjoys journaling, finding cute coffee shops, and crafting in her free time. On campus, she serves as a board member and social media head for Denison's chapter of Her Campus, so check out our instagram @hcdenison!