10 Ideas for Beating the College Cold!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

You’re already a pro at navigating the campus, and finally moved in. Then the unthinkable happens. It suddenly seems that everyone is sick. This happens every year, a college epidemic of sore throats and runny noses. Blame the changing seasons, the change of environment, or the communal living in the dorms. But with these ten tips, you can avoid the cold.

1. Wash your hands.
The best way to make sure your hands are always germless is to always carry hand-sanitizer. Buy yourself some scented hand sanitizer and always smell like sweet vanilla or fresh mint!

2. Increase your Vitamin C!
Vitamin C boosts your immune system. Whether you choose orange juice, Emergen-C, or any other vitamin C supplement, you wont regret increasing you vitamin C intake. A great gummy supplement is Vitafusion Power C; two of these vitamins are the equivalent amount of tangerines as ten tangerines!. A glass of orange juice with every meal will put you a step ahead of the cold.

3. Avoid the Library Computers.
Computer keyboards can be the home to thousands of germs. Most students on campus have their own laptops, and during the cold season, this is your best option. Students spend hours daily in the library printing, on Facebook, and working on essays. And while they do, they are sneezing and coughing. If you must use a library computer, don’t forget to pull out your hand-sanitizer right after!

4. Don’t Share Drinks.
The oldest rule in the book.

5. Drink Plenty of Water.
Hydrated people are healthier people. Usually aim for 6 to 8 glasses of water of day, but increase your intake if you are working out or if it is hot outside.

6. Exercise!
Speaking of working out, exercise not only gives you those wonderful endorphins but it boosts your immune system. So head on down to Mitchell!

7. Sleep Sleep Sleep!
In college, sleep is not necessarily a priority. But it can help maintain a healthy immune system.

8. Stop Biting Those Nails!
And touching your face. Even though we know you are using that hand sanitizer religiously, some ninja germs are going to make it on to your hands. Your mouth, nose, and even eyes are gateways into your body, and touching your face makes it easier for these germs to enter you body. A good tip to avoid biting your nails is to always keep them painted.

9. Get a Flu Shot.
If you haven’t already, get a flu shot before flu season hits hard.

10. Keep that Dorm Room Clean.
Your roommate is trying to survive this flu and cold season just like you, so team up! Wipe down the doorknob, desks, Ihome, alarm clock, mini fridge with antibacterial wipes so you and roomie can beat the college cold!

If you are reading this article with a stuffy nose, a cough, and a sore throat, sorry it’s too late for you! Here are three tips to help you bounce back to 100% form as soon as possible.

1. Make Yourself Some Hot Tea.
Teas with honey and tea are soothing to sore throats.
2. Eat Spicy Foods.
This will help you clear your sinuses. The soups in dining halls are almost always serving a spicy soup.
3. Sleep!
Sleep not only helps prevent illness, but it can be the best thing you can do to return to your healthy self.

Denison University Class of 2016!!I am from Dallas, Texas and I am going to school in the great state of Ohio!