Screen Shot 2019 08 23 at 45200 PMpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Screen Shot 2019 08 23 at 45200 PMpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
ABC | Grey\'s Anatomy

why fans are still watching grey’s anatomy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

19 Seasons and 400+ episodes in, Shonda Rhimes’ medical drama Grey’s Anatomy, starring Ellen Pompeo as its lead, continues to be widely popular. It’s been 17 years since the show first started in 2005 and although a lot has changed since then – in the show as well as the world, – Grey’s Anatomy has found a huge fanbase known for its loyalty towards this longest-running primetime medical drama in TV history.

So, what is it about this show that makes fans want to continue to watch and even re-watch it?

• Iconic Characters

Throughout these 19 seasons, the writers of the show have created characters that are relatable as well as aspirational, flawed and imperfect but also unparalleled in their field of work, “dark and twisty” but still unflagging in the face of adversity. I believe it’s these traits and then some that make these characters so compelling. You may love them or hate them, but you will always end up sympathizing with them. There is some tragedy underlying almost each character and by doing so the writers have been successful in drawing the audience’s attention towards them. Over the course of the show, fans believe they have grown with the characters and that’s a journey any viewer would be keen to continue.

Grey’s Anatomy is infamous for the fact that all its characters from the early seasons and members of the original cast have left the show over the course of these 17 years. From the original Season 1 cast, only 3 characters remain – Meredith Grey, Miranda Bailey and Richard Webber. Despite this, the characters that joined along the way have managed to leave a significant impact on the viewers, who are now genuinely interested in their storylines and relationships. Fans want to see these characters and their relationships grow.

Although many argue that the show’s storylines are becoming unnecessary and it has gone on longer than it should have, some fans claim they are mainly interested in the characters which are very well written. Some viewers believe that “bad characters can’t carry a good story but good characters can carry a bad story.” So even if some storylines aren’t great, they continue to watch the show as their loyalties lie with the characters.

• The Writing

Grey’s Anatomy is known for its powerful writing. The show finds a way to comfort, educate, empower, and move you through its writing and dialogue. Not only has it lent some iconic lines to popular culture, but even the not-so-popular ones are etched in the minds of many.

Meredith Grey’s iconic “I make no apologies for how I chose to repair what you broke,” Cristina Yang’s famous “Screw beautiful, I’m brilliant. If you want to appease me compliment my brain,” Callie Torres’ rebellious and relevant protest “You can’t pray away the gay,” and Mark Sloan’s painful realization, “If you love someone, you tell them,” are just few of the many statements that ring true to us. The writing in the show is impactful and empathetic and has evolved with the world, incorporating a range of different issues such as mental health, alcoholism and addiction, racism, police brutality, domestic abuse, and sexual assault among others.

• Representation and Diversity

The show has given a platform to many unheard voices and marginalized sections of society. It stands by ideas of equality, inclusion, diversity and acceptance. Whether it is through the regular cast members or guest stars, Grey’s Anatomy always keeps diversity at its core.

Its various storylines represent and give a voice to people of color and people of different sexualities, which also helps in empowering these communities. The show has proven to be groundbreaking in many ways, one of which being the fact that it has shown women and people of color at the top of the hospital’s hierarchy. One such example being Dr. Miranda Bailey, the first female Black chief of surgery of one of the biggest hospitals in the country. The show has had a significant impact on the LGBTQ+ community and even Ellen Pompeo once revealed how the show was a way for a young gay man to come out to his parents.

These are just few reasons why Grey’s Anatomy has been a favorite of many across the globe. It has now also been discovered by a whole new generation of fans who are interested to see it through. This show continues to impact the lives of many and we sincerely hope its creators don’t call time of death on it anytime soon.

Dippanshi Kapoor

Delhi South '24

A twenty year old English major, Dippanshi would rather observe the world than be a part of it. For someone who loves reading, writing, and watching movies, she is afraid she never does enough of any of these things.