This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

We all have our qualms when we see a book to movie/series adaptations. It can be a total disaster like the Percy Jackson movie adaptation (can’t wait for the live-action series though) or it can be an absolute treasure like the Harry Potter franchise. Adaptations are a hit-or-miss but don’t worry dear readers, today I come to you with a perfect book to show adaptation that will knock your knickers out of the park. I bet most of us have heard or watched Gone Girl, the 2014 David Fincher thriller starring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike. Gone Girl was based on the book with the same name written by Gillian Flynn and if you loved the movie then Sharp Objects will tickle all your needs in a good thriller show.

Sharp Objects was Gillian Flynn’s debut book from back in 2006 which in 2018 bagged an HBO miniseries under the famous Big Little Lies director Jean-Marc Vallée. Sharp Objects has everything in it for a classic ‘whodunnit’ plot from gory suspicious deaths, a big-city reporter, and a small town full of secrets. I would definitely put a trigger warning for this show because there are mentions of self-harm and sexual assault in the series. The 8-episode series follows Camille Preaker (Amy Adams), an alcoholic journalist with more baggage than any human should possibly carry. She goes back to her hometown to cover a story for her newspaper when two young girls mysteriously disappear and turn up dead with all their teeth pulled out. However, even though the murder cases are the central plot of the story, we are focused more on the connections Camille has to this town, the residents, and most importantly with her mother. This show is a psychological rollercoaster where no one can take their eyes off Camille, her mother Adora Crellin (Patricia Clarkson), and her step-sister Amma (Eliza Scanlen). 

Many might grumble that a book with just over 250 pages shouldn’t deserve an 8-episode series where every episode is 45+mins long. However, Jean-Marc uses a lot of time to set up the small town of Wind Gap for us. It is really important to understand this town before we see the ugly insides and hidden secrets of the people living in this seriously messed up place. The luscious playlist in this series is disarmingly beautiful and the biggest dichotomy is the way it runs parallel to the darkness overflowing in Wind Gap and its residents. In the book, we get the story told to us from the first person POV from Camille herself. We get to see her thoughts and emotions first-hand. Often, it is really hard for a TV adaptation to capture this flow of emotion but because of Jean-Marc’s fluid directing and excellent cut shots to the different flashbacks and emotions, we are able to truly experience the intricacies of Camille’s mind.

If you’re into dark and borderline scary mystery shows then Sharp Objects is a definite binge-worthy show. Amy Adams and Eliza Scanlen bring amazing chemistry to the table as half-sisters. Every character has a unique and disturbing storyline going on in Wind Gap, and it’s really hard to let go of these characters even after the end of the show. Sharp Objects ends at such an alarmingly scary note, it is one of those shows that keeps you up at night thinking about its characters. It is also really interesting to rewatch the show once you know who the killer is and realize what poison must be running in the veins of this person to commit the horrifying crimes (re-read this article after watching the show to catch the reference). Personally, I read the book first and was extremely pleased with the mini-series. I think because it was a mini-series, we were able to experience the depth of the situation and really get to know the people of Wind Gap first-hand. While Gone Girl was an excellent movie, when you read the book, you get an even more thrilling experience. All in all, Sharp Objects is one of my 11/10 recommended series because I can never fault it.

P.S. – Do NOT miss the post-credits scene of the last episode; trust me those 10 seconds will haunt you for a while!

Samantha Roy

Delhi South '21

Samantha is currently doing her final year of B.A English honours from Jesus and Mary college. Most of her time is spent watching underrated shows on Netflix and rereading books to relish the sense of nostalgia and comfort.