Wellness

Self Care and Birth Control QnA with Kat Graham!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

Recently, HCHQ conducted an informative Q&A with Kat Graham and we at HC Delhi South are so glad to have been a part of it. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of an engaging discussion with like-minded empowering women and have the chance to meet Kat Graham aka Bonnie, everyone’s favourite witch from The Vampire Diaries? The primary focus of the event conducted on Zoom, was self-care and birth control, particularly Lolo (Lo Loestrin Fe), a medical contraceptive. This was followed by questions from the audience about women’s health.

In today’s day and age, with all of us shining our way through exams, meetings, internships and whatnot, we tend to follow a rather stressful lifestyle. Unfortunately, this leaves little time for ourselvess. And this is precisely why self-care is essential now more than ever. Birth control is an important part of self-care that many women seem to neglect. As emphasised by Kat, it is very important for women to take care and stay safe rather than being careless having to deal with an unforeseen hurdle at the wrong time, that could have very well been avoided.

Kat Graham along with Dr Lakeisha Richardson then told us all about Lolo (Lo Loestrin Fe) and its importance for women. While apprehensions about any kind of birth control are completely valid and normal, what is of utmost importance is for a person to recognise these apprehensions, decide what works best for them and most importantly, realise that they aren’t alone. Since a primary concern for birth control medication is hormonal changes, Lolo solves this by providing the lowest amount of estrogen in a daily dose, only 10 micrograms, for pregnancy prevention.

After an enriching session encompassing all the important information about birth control and Lolo, there was a question-answer session with the Her Campus members. One of the questions answered by Kat was sent in by our very own Campus Correspondent, Snigdha. When asked which on screen representation does a good job of addressing a women’s health issue, Kat said she loved Chrissy Metz from NBC’s ‘This Is Us’ .She also felt that today’s TV does a good job at representing the issues in our culture that are still prevalent and need to be changed or eradicated.

The QnA came to an end with Kat Graham answering a question about her self-care routine and how she maintains her health. She told the audience how she often finds herself not present in the moment and is currently trying to overcome that. She also suggested that once in a while we should just stop everything, put our phones away and be there for ourselves. For example, with birth control, no matter where she is, what movie she is filming, or what chore she is doing, at 8:58 am every day, she stops everything and takes her birth control. This also reminds her to be mindful of her needs.

Even though the event was at 3 am Indian Standard Time, our team at Her Campus Delhi South could not have been more delighted to log in and engage with Kat Graham. We’re sure that we’ll treasure all that we learnt and look forward to more informative sessions with HCHQ!

Shreya Yadav

Delhi South '23

Shreya (aka sher 🦁) is a student of Economics at Maitreyi College, University of Delhi. With a great sense of aesthetic and an acquired classy music taste, she is the person with whom you can have conversations about anything- ranging from her obsession with McDonald's French Fries to deep talks on life to occasionally even skincare routines. She will never fail to surprise you with her thoughts and outgoing personality.