buckeyjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
buckeyjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Kait DSouza
Wellness

The Need for A Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

Bucket List (plural bucket lists)

(idiomatic) A list of things to accomplish before one’s death.

When I was 12 years old, alongside my best friend during our first-ever sleepover, we made a bucket list. At that moment it was all fun and games, I had not yet come to know how important it is to have a bucket list in our lives. Pretty early on in life, I had come to the realization that we live one life. One beautiful, amazing, and sometimes painful life, and it goes by faster than we take notice. We must live our lives to the fullest, experience as many things as we can because trust me even though times can be tough and a pain in the ass sometimes, there is a whole world outside waiting for you.

I’m not saying that you have to make a bucket list, just that it helps you to collect all of your wildest fantasies somewhere and the sheer innocent joy that comes when you tick off something from that list makes it worth all the effort. The fun part of making a bucket list is that it can be as wild as you want it to be, there are no restrictions here.

Making a bucket list not only lets your inner child and creativity out but also brings out your sense of adventure. It motivates you to experience things you would only dream about. Jumping off a plane? Watching the Aurora Borealis with the love of your life? Just grab a pen and paper and jot down everything you want to or wish to do once in life right now!

Maybe it was the quarantine that made me go through the old bucket list I made when I was 12 and I realized that there are still so many things I want to do. It also made me want to make a new one (it doesn’t hurt to have more than one list), more the merrier right? So, here is just a list of things that my bucket list includes, maybe it will inspire you to do the same, who knows?

1) Go to a Drive-thru Movie Theatre

The whole ambiance of a Drive-In is something I want to experience. In my car with a bunch of friends and an unhealthy number of snacks, watching a movie with a bunch of other people in their own cars, now that is a vibe I want to be in. The ‘30s passed the vibe check on that.

2) Eat Yogurt on the MET stairs

This one is for my Gossip Girl fangirls. Every fan can catch this reference from a mile away. Nothing is more iconic than the spot where S and B were spotted with the juiciest drama. Have I already made plans with my best friend to complete this one with me? You bet your Chuck Bass loving ass I have!

XOXO Don’t forget the yogurt.

3) Visit Machu Pichu

I don’t know who needs to hear this, but if you haven’t already looked up Machu Pichu and cried over the fact that there exist such beautiful places on this planet, DO IT NOW! In 1983 UNESCO declared this 15th century Inca Citadel as a World Heritage Site and in 2007 it was voted as one of the 7 Wonders of the World by an internet poll. This beautiful ruin is 7079 ft. above sea level and has one of the most beautiful views ever. It is a place I wish to really visit before I die.

4) Kiss a stranger under the Eiffel Tower

Okay, I might have pulled this one out of my 12-year-old self’s list. Don’t judge me, I was a romantic (and still am). It obviously does not have to be a stranger and honestly, this one isn’t even about the kiss anymore. If you’re in the city of love and right under the Eiffel Tower, I just couldn’t think of any other quintessential pose for a picture. You do you though of course, just make it a point to visit Paris!

5) Go on a Planetarium Date

Yes, I am dragging the romantic self into this one too but tell me how a date to a Planetarium is not the most perfect and romantic thing ever? As someone who loves to stargaze but lives in Delhi, where finding stars in the sky is as rare as a blue moon, going to a Planetarium is the second-best thing to do. The most fun thing about Planetariums is that you don’t need a significant other to go to one. One should always go to a planetarium; it’s really a fun experience I promise!

Go to museums, find new cafes with your best friends or travel alone; there are one too many things that you can add to your own list. Remember life is precious, try to make as many memories as you can. Strive to be the cool aunt who has one too many cool stories from her youth to share. Just don’t forget to experience the little things that come along the way, the journey taken is the best part of reaching your end destination.

Samantha Roy

Delhi South '21

Samantha is currently doing her final year of B.A English honours from Jesus and Mary college. Most of her time is spent watching underrated shows on Netflix and rereading books to relish the sense of nostalgia and comfort.