Career > Money

LIFE, LIBERTY, PURSUIT OF NO DEBT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

Finance, as the word implies, is a phrase associated with money. Financial literacy is the understanding of how to handle money in a society where money is everything and nothing is free, even water. Nobody understands where to invest money and save money for future responsibilities unless they have an understanding of this subject.

Its purpose is to assist people to learn how to handle money in their daily lives. Finance is defined as “the activity of managing money” and is divided into three divisions.

Personal Finance Cooperate Finance Public Finance
A term cover for saving and investing for the individual Business-related activity and obtaining funds for the business The role of government in the economy for the benefit of the public and the country. Developed by the government
Examples – Credit loans, insurance Examples – Issues of stocks and bonds Examples – Taxing, budgeting

Finance literacy not only explains money management in effective and detailed methods. Finance literacy enables us to learn about money management. Knowledge of finance aids in the development of plans that aid in the financial progress of an individual and the nation.

Financial Literacy has four components.

• Budget
  • Debt
  • Investing
  • Saving
Budget Debt Investment Saving
It relates to a single spending habit and allows the person to save properly. As a result, there is no need to compromise one’s requirements. Good debt is defined as borrowing money for products that are required for daily existence. On the other hand, bad debt for squandering money on frivolous items. Instead of storing money in a bank, individuals might transform it into finance by increasing their wealth. It ensures the financial well-being of a person and that can be used by them or their future generations for a secure and happy life.  

Even in industrialized nations, there remains a significant gap in gender disparity in financial and economic expertise. Women are seen to be better at money management than males, but they fall short when it comes to utilizing that knowledge in the actual world. This is due to a lack of financial education, or because women have been financially dependent on males for millennia. Financial literacy is especially crucial for women now, when things are changing for them. A few explanations for this financial knowledge divide include illiteracy and the prohibition of women from working. Women will not be interested in finance if they do not have their own money. To earn their own money, they must acquire a job, which requires them to be literate.

We’ve spoken about the problem and its causes; now let’s look at options to bridge the gap: –

• Women earn less than males and rely on modest wages. Men search for alternative sources of money, but women do not. To handle their finances, they must go through four processes.
  • Create the budget, review the spending limitations, and prioritize the needs and requirements.
  • Keep track of the debt.
  • Paying off past-due obligations as soon as possible before it’s too late.
  • You may view your annual credit score or points.
  • Finally, put your savings to use!
  • Even though the proportion of female education is growing, women continue to face financial challenges. Women must comprehend the significance of financial literacy for themselves and society. They should learn about investing and the numerous investment options.
  • In comparison to men, 40% of women are unable to retire. Men begin investing at a young age, but women do not. They rely solely on their wages.

Here are a few strategies for investing:-

• Create a savings account and set aside money for future retirement.
  • Examine your long-term and short-term ambitions.
  • Have several sources of income.

According to surveys, “only 33% of women invest their money with confidence, compared to 64% of men,” which is a relatively low figure. Countries must develop effective measures to educate women about money. It will assist women in better money management and financial decision-making, which will contribute to economic progress.

Anyone of any age may start investing and increase their financial literacy by knowing its components. Financial literacy is a necessary life skill since it improves one’s financial potential. It is advantageous to begin early. However, it is never too late to start.

Mansha Amar

Delhi South '24

A Healthcare Management student at Jesus and Mary College. As a nineteen-year-old Mansha would play her part in the world which is like a stage and then write about it. She can never get bored of reading, writing and watching ROM – COM movies.