working on the book-for an article on a club on campus
Photo by Lauren Waugh
Culture > Digital

Hacktivism and the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

What do we really know about hackers? From the point of view of most movies, a hacker is some sort of an introvert wearing big, nerdy glasses and a hoodie with interests limited to cyberspace and a flair for security breaches. Their best friends are probably personal computers and laptops and routers, but that is not entirely true. The movies do not actively succeed in portraying the right image of hackers. With all our information readily available on cyberspace and our sheer dependency on the internet, it becomes quite easy for people to hack into our systems and access our data. That is why we must be aware of all the potential damage a hacker can do. A singular breach is capable of leaking sensitive information that can in turn completely annihilate any organization. Now, most of us are aware of what a hacker’s job entails but it is still important to keep in mind a proper definition. 

“A hacker is an individual who uses computer, networking, or other skills to overcome a technical problem. The term also may refer to anyone who uses their abilities to gain unauthorized access to systems or networks in order to commit crimes. A hacker may, for example, steal information to hurt people via identity theft or bring down a system and, often, hold it hostage in order to collect a ransom.” 

Thus, all hackers can’t be put in the same category. Depending on their motives and the nature and legality of their work, hackers can be broadly classified into three categories; the white hat hackers, the black hat hackers, and the grey hat hackers

White hat hackers are referred to as ‘good hackers’ or ‘ethical hackers’ since their field of work involves hacking by completely legal means. Their job includes exploiting computer systems or networks to identify security flaws and make improvement recommendations. They are hired by various organizations for the security-related assessment of their websites and other networks. By the ministrations of a white hat hacker, several loopholes in the online security of an organization can be identified and overcome. Anyone with an aptitude for computer sciences and an active interest in hacking can try and become a white hat hacker for an organization. 

Now let’s come the bad guys, also infamously known as the black hat hackers. They can be classified as criminals who break into computer networks. What distinguishes a black hat hacker from a white hat hacker is malicious intent. According to Kaspersky, “black hat hackers can also release malware that destroys files, holds computers hostage, or steals passwords, credit card numbers, and other personal information.” Most certainly, these actions are punishable by the law. This is where cybersecurity plays a major role. We can’t turn malicious intent into noble intent but what we can do is practice safety online. An adequate anti-virus and an abundance of common sense are key to being safe online. We must never give our personal information to unauthorized sites and we must also try to not fall prey to the attractive and extremely inviting baits that we can find all over the internet. It is extremely easy for people to exploit our data and thus, it is our responsibility to be responsible online. 

Finding a middle ground between the two aforementioned kinds of hackers, we have the grey hat hackers who aren’t exactly as ethical as white hat hackers nor is their intent malicious like the black hat hackers. A grey hat hacker is a computer hacker or a computer security expert who may sometimes violate laws or typical ethical standards but does not have the malicious intent typical of a black hat hacker. These kind of hackers also include certain subcategories, for example, the term hacktivist has gathered a considerable amount of attention over the past few decades. Who are these people and what are their motives? “Hacktivists are grey hat hackers with the primary goal of bringing public attention to a political or social matter through disruption. Hacktivists fall under this category because their work can both benefit the public good but also disrupt necessary public services.”

If you’ve been an actively participating denizen of the internet, you must know about the cyber-activist movement called Anonymous, created in 2003. People often identify them as a bunch of people wearing Guy Hawkes masks with a will to change the world. Anonymous is actually a decentralized international activist and/or hacktivist movement widely known for its various cyber attacks against several governments and government institutions. They are possibly the best example of grey hat hackers that I can give.

Now, the important takeaway here is that when we think of hackers, we think of criminals. But not all hackers deserve that reputation. They belong to different categories and the huge difference between their motives distinguishes them from one another. Movements like Anonymous have revolutionized the use of hacking and have spread awareness about certain issues. They have used their talents and authority for the good of people and have given us enough reasons to believe that hackers aren’t always evil.

Anjalika Tiwari

Delhi South '23

Anjalika is a student of Kamala Nehru College. She is an ardent believer of the fact that inspiration can be drawn from anything and everything. A dreamer at heart, forced into the pragmatic world, she encompasses an adequate amount of research as well as personal opinions in her articles.