Taiwan Night Market
Taiwan Night Market
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

You remind me of a child who leaps through time without a care in the world and evolves with it. Your history is etched in the oldest books and you leave your mark like the glitter that stubbornly lingers all over one’s clothes. You bear the badge of centuries proudly, it is embedded in the various architectures you are an abode to. In some ways, you are my doorway to the world. This is a letter I write to you, to reminisce and to appreciate your beauty. 

Born within your arms, you were where I spent the most innocent days of my life. You carry with you memories of my fondest days. Whether it be meeting my best friend or being the opening to adulthood, you have witnessed it all. Today, when I roam the streets, I can recognize the distinct ‘Delhi scent’, which I’m not sure exists for anyone else. It smells like those muddy footpaths, roads surrounded by trees, and a bit like my grandmother’s house. Every second I spend walking on the lane, I’m reminded of the times I spent playing in the dirt with my cousins. Oh, how my grandmother would scold me to no end, but then wipe off all the dust with her tender hands in the same breath. I’m reminded of the rainy days and throwing water balloons on strangers like a bunch of hooligans. Sure, we would get lambasted for doing so, but the excitement was worth it all. 

Not only do you hold little souvenirs of my life in your palms, but you also make room to showcase your rich cultural history. From Delhi Sultanate to the Mughal Empire to the British Raj, each has left its imprint on you and you continue to narrate your story through the monuments they left behind. Tombs like Humanyun’s Tomb and Safdarjung Tomb are some of the most exceptional pieces of architecture to exist. Built by the rulers of the Mughal Empire, they represent their legacy and achievements. They are huge mausoleums that bear upon themselves the mark of passing time and exhibit the heritage of the Mughal rulers who played a huge part in making Delhi what it is now. Not only that, places like Connaught Place have stood witness to the times of British rule in India. Originally built to cater to the elite class, it now serves as a hub for all things commercial! Its evolution is a testament to how time has changed the glorious city for the better. 

However, Connaught Place isn’t the only remarkable spot you offer. Ranging from the infamous Sarojini Nagar to Chandni Chowk, you have mastered the art of dazzling people with your display of culture. You are home to youth like me, who find solace in getting lost in the crowded bazaars and finding treasured artifacts. The vintage pieces we shop for sit comfortably in our homes and radiate charm. The hustle and bustle are accompanied by simple, yet beautiful conversations occurring at every other chai stall. Over time, you have transformed into a capitalist hub of sorts, a buzzing spot for people of all kinds. You draw us in, like pollen does to a bee, and offer us a view of the legacy of India. There’s a reason to call you the ‘Mini India’, you know. 

People from every single corner of the world call you home at least once in their lives. You offer a place for marginalized communities like the LGBTQ+ community to express and flaunt their queerness with pride. The Transgender community finds some comfort in the several shelter houses and NGOs built for their convenience. Additionally, the refuge you provide to fugitives from countries like Syria, Afghanistan, etc., and allow them to treat you like their home. You display Indian culture like no other. From the National Museum of India to the Crafts Museum, from the beautiful expression of Tibetan culture in Majnu Ka Tila to the Trade Fair held at Pragati Maidan, you showcase India’s rich heritage in varied ways. It’s a miracle how you manage to inculcate such diversity in the little area you possess, but I guess that is the charm of Delhi.  

You have evolved, from a measly caterpillar to an elegant butterfly. You have been replanned, over and over, and today you stand as a testimony to the history of India. Despite all the shortcomings, you hold a special place in my heart for welcoming me when no one else did. You are my home, quite literally, and nothing will ever make me more joyous than walking on the Delhi streets when it’s 6 A.M. and the world feels peaceful. 

Sifat Keer

Delhi South '24

A literature geek whose only solace in life is dogs and listening to Taylor Swift's songs at 3 in the morning. Currently pursuing Political Science Honours from Lady Shri Ram College for Women.