Life > Experiences

World Book Fair 2024: A Celebration of Indian Stories Reclaiming the Spotlight

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Fueled by my insatiable literary appetite, attending this year’s World Book Fair was a non-negotiable event. The World Book Fair has been a yearly event at Pragati Maidan center. Each year, the world book fair explodes with bookworms, proving that the love of reading is alive and thriving, defying any doubts about its demise. And just like any other bookworm, I entered the fair with a big empty tote bag in search of gems, old and new. 

The fair sprawled before me, a labyrinth of stalls overflowing with books of every genre imaginable. From classic hardcovers whispering of timeless tales to the vibrant hues of new releases, each aisle promised a new adventure. I hopped from the stalls of Bloomsbury to Penguin in no time, meanwhile covering and gazing at every independent publication. 

What stood out among these recurring stalls was the broad segment of Indian literature stocked. With the theme “Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav: Celebrating 75 Years of Progressive India,” the fair reverberated with the energy of amplifying Indian voices and narratives. This intentional spotlight was a breath of fresh air, offering a platform for regional languages, diverse authors, and the rich tapestry of Indian literature to shine. Stepping into the fair, one was immediately greeted by the vibrant energy of the regional language pavilion. Stalls overflowing with books in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Bengali, and more served as a testament to the linguistic diversity that defines India. 

Crossing this lane, I came across this beautiful shelf full of books that compiled stories from several Indian languages but had been translated into English for an audience like myself. For years, a yearning simmered within me—to dive into the literary tapestry woven by my land. The book fair presented the perfect opportunity, and I seized it without hesitation, grabbing the Odia compilation with a joyful sigh of relief.

However, the fair wasn’t just about acquisitions. Author talks, panel discussions, and poetry readings offered glimpses into the creative minds behind the books. The air buzzed with intellectual discourse and passionate debates, reminding me of the power of literature to connect and inspire.

As the day drew to a close, my tote bag overflowed with treasures, both new and old. More than just books, they were portals to new worlds, windows into different perspectives, and companions for quiet moments. The World Book Fair wasn’t just a shopping trip; it was a reminder of the magic of stories, the joy of discovery, and the enduring power of reading to bring us together.

Leaving the fair, I carried not just a bag full of books, but a heart brimming with inspiration and a renewed appreciation for the literary community that keeps the love of reading alive. And as I turn the first pages of my newfound treasures, I know that this is just the beginning of another exciting literary adventure, fueled by the magic of the World Book Fair.

Anoushka Purohit

Delhi North '25

Anoushka Purohit is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Editorial team. Her writing interests range from politics, society, to talking about individuality and asking questions about life in general. Beyond Her Campus, she is a second year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She contributed as editor and interviewer for an online community page called Humans of Bhubaneswar and also worked as the head of social media for a climate awareness organisation called Fridays For Future, Odisha. Her reading interests can be identified by the number of classics she hoards as well the unique literature which finds space in her bookshelf. Her leisure time is purely dedicated to reading, dancing and attending music concerts. Apart from that, she considers herself to be a die hard rock fan and a metalhead.