WHAT KEEPS THE 74-YEAR-OLD INDIAN CONSTITUTION ALIVE AND RELEVANT IN ITS CITIZENS’ MINDS?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

The Indian Constitution is one of our country’s greatest success stories. Despite passing through various intra and international wars that threaten to undermine its basic structure, as well as drastic changes in cultures, traditions, human perspectives, and relationships among regions and states, the Indian Constitution, which was adopted 74 years ago, remains relevant across generations. While we often talk about the preamble and the articles, only a few mention the amendments that our Constitution had to go through in order to change and modify itself with each passing day. 

Amendments are small additions or changes made to improve a text or a piece of legislation. Because the constitution is 74 years old, many of its articles and clauses no longer apply to current situations or developments in the country. In many countries like Brazil and Nigeria, this was one of the prime reasons why they had to alter their entire constitution and adopt a new one. However, in the case of India, timely amendments have prevented the entire Constitution from being altered. While there are 105 amendments in the Indian Constitution, let us get to know the top six amendments over the years:

1. 1st Amendment (June 1951): The first amendment took place right after five months of adopting the official Constitution. It primarily dealt with articles 15, 19, and 85. This amendment put limitations on the freedom of expression, introduced freedom of trade, and abolished the age-old zamindari system. It proved as a litmus paper for the architects of the constitution, showing that they can create a constitution, and they can amend it according to the suitability of its citizens.
  1. 42nd Amendment (1976): The 42nd amendment is the most popular in the history of the Indian Constitution. It was initiated during Indira Gandhi’s prime ministership and was seen as one of the consequences of the infamous Emergency of 1975. Out of all the changes that this amendment initiated, the most significant was the inclusion of the words ‘secular’ and ‘socialist’ in the Preamble of our Constitution. The makers of the Constitution initially rejected both words, citing that India already adopted a mixed economy, and the word ‘union’ signified the secularism of India.
  1. 53rd Amendment (1986): This amendment gave special rights to the state of Mizoram. According to the amendment, any act of parliament, unless agreed by the Mizoram Legislature will not apply to the state. Along with it, the Legislative Assembly of the State of Mizoram shall comprise not less than 40 members. All these were a part of the then newly formed article 371G. This amendment has often received backlash from other state leaders who claim that Mizoram is getting unnecessary privileges. Nevertheless, the article’s been successful in decreasing the tensions that arose between the center and the state government of Mizoram. 
  1. 61st Amendment (1989): This amendment allowed all youngsters of age 18 years above to cast their votes for the Lok Sabha and Legislative Assembly Election. Before 1989, voting rights were given to people aged 21 and above, but after 1989, the voting rights were lowered to 18 years of age.
  1. 105th Amendment (2021), also known as the Right to Identify Other Backward Classes (OBC), is the latest amendment to the Indian Constitution, introduced in 2021. This amendment restored state governments’ power to recognize the society’s socially and educationally backward classes (SEBCs). Thus now, the state governments can make their backward class list keeping in mind the population composition of their respective regions.

Numerous individuals assert their concerns regarding the constitution, stating that too many amendments may alter the basic essence of the original text of the constitution. However, that’s not entirely true. 

Here’s the catch: the Indian Constitution is neither too flexible nor too rigid. Through its efficient implementation process, it simplifies making amendments. The amendment bill tabled in both houses (Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha) goes through various parliamentary committees, then all the amendments are thoroughly analyzed and only presented before the common citizens when it’s certain that they are in fact for the betterment of the country.

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.