Wellness

The Therapeutic Power of Tea: From Ancient Remedies to Modern Wellness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

For us Indians, having two cups of tea a day isn’t merely a habit; it’s a vital part of our daily routine. Tea isn’t just a beverage; it’s a cornerstone of our existence, woven into the very essence of our culture. Growing up surrounded by the lush tea gardens of my hometown, Assam, I developed an unbreakable bond with this aromatic brew. I can’t fathom even a day without indulging in this comforting, soulful drink. Witnessing the diligent women in the tea gardens, meticulously plucking the tender tea leaves, their woven baskets overflowing with verdant foliage, is a scene etched into my memories. And the rhythmic process of tea-making at the factories further deepened my bond with this beloved beverage. The aroma of fresh tea leaves wafting through the air invokes a sense of nostalgia, transporting me to cherished moments of home and comfort. As I watch my mother carefully brew a pot of tea, the rhythmic clinking of cups and gentle bubbling of the kettle create a symphony of familiarity. Each sip carries with it a warmth that seeps into my soul, evoking feelings of contentment and belonging. In these simple rituals of tea-making, I find solace and a connection to my roots that transcends time and space.

Tea, particularly Chai, permeates every aspect of daily life in India. From the bustling streets of Delhi to the tranquil homes of families, its aroma and warmth weave into the fabric of our culture. Chai wallahs offer their aromatic brew, a blend of black tea leaves, milk, and spices, setting the rhythm for the day. In offices, colleagues gather for tea breaks, fostering camaraderie amid work stress. At family gatherings, tea signifies hospitality and connection, while street-side stalls become social hubs where stories flow as freely as the tea itself. Even during the monsoon season, a cup of tea provides solace, a comforting ritual against the backdrop of torrential rains. For me, tea isn’t just a beverage; it’s a cherished tradition, a familiar comfort that binds generations and creates lasting memories.

Related: Chai: India in a Cup 

Tea, crafted from the delicate leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, has enchanted humanity for millennia with its calming, revitalizing, and refreshing essence. Origin dating back to over 4,000 years ago in China, tea’s allure has transcended borders, embedding itself deeply within diverse cultures worldwide. While tea has cultural significance, its therapeutic properties are also not short of recognition. 

The story of tea’s journey to the West is steeped in history. Initially a closely guarded secret in China, the monopoly on tea trade was shattered when the British East India Company began importing tea to Europe in the seventeenth century. As demand grew, the British sought alternative sources, leading to the discovery of tea gardens in regions like Darjeeling and Assam in India. This shift not only diversified the tea market but also fueled the British tea craze. Today, tea remains a beloved beverage worldwide, with a rich tapestry of cultural significance and diverse flavors originating from its storied past.

In ancient Chinese culture, tea was indeed considered a tonic for longevity and overall well-being. Traditional healers sought to alleviate ailments ranging from headaches to fatigue. They valued its ability to aid digestion, improve circulation, and strengthen the immune system. However, specific claims about its ability to alleviate ailments like headaches or fatigue might vary based on cultural beliefs and historical practices. 

Similarly, in India, tea has been integrated into traditional Ayurvedic practices, which emphasize holistic well-being. While Ayurveda recognizes the balancing of doshas (the body’s vital energies) as a central concept, attributing tea with the specific ability to harmonize doshas might vary based on individual interpretations and practices within Ayurvedic traditions.

Upon gracing European shores in the seventeenth century, tea swiftly captivated the hearts of aristocracy, initially prized for its exotic allure and social prestige. Over time, its therapeutic qualities got recognition, and European physicians began prescribing it to address various ailments, ranging from anxiety to gout, contributing to its reputation as a healing elixir during that era.

In contemporary times, scientific research is shedding light on tea’s ancient healing properties, affirming its place in the realm of holistic wellness. Abundant in antioxidants, polyphenols, and flavonoids, tea offers a treasure trove of bioactive compounds linked to myriad health benefits. From shielding cells against oxidative damage to reducing the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer, tea’s medicinal potential is vast and compelling.

Furthermore, tea offers therapeutic benefits for mental and emotional well-being. The presence of theanine, an amino acid known for its calming effects, promotes relaxation, reduces stress, and enhances cognitive clarity. Studies have found associations between regular tea consumption and potential benefits such as lower levels of stress hormones, potential improvements in mood, and possibly enhanced sleep quality, which may contribute to overall mental well-being.

While tea consumption offers potential benefits, excessive intake or reliance on heavily caffeinated varieties may lead to adverse effects. Overconsumption of caffeine can result in jitteriness, increased heart rate, and disrupted sleep patterns. Additionally, certain compounds in tea, such as tannins, can interfere with iron absorption, potentially impacting individuals with iron deficiency. Furthermore, adding excessive sugar or cream to tea can contribute to weight gain and dental issues. Moderation is key to enjoying the benefits of tea while minimizing any potential negative repercussions on health and well-being.

Moderation is key to enjoying the benefits of tea while minimizing any potential negative repercussions on health and well-being.

To enhance tea’s healing properties, it is beneficial to incorporate mindful consumption practices. Infusing herbal blends or adding spices can target specific health concerns; for instance, ginger can soothe digestion, while peppermint may help alleviate headaches. By savoring each sip mindfully and immersing oneself in the aroma and flavor, tea transforms from a mere beverage into a ritual of self-care and rejuvenation.

Tea’s evolution from an ancient remedy to a modern wellness staple symbolizes nature’s remarkable ability to nurture and heal. As society increasingly embraces holistic approaches to well-being, tea emerges as a symbol of simplicity and depth, providing a sanctuary for both body and soul. In the intricate interplay between tradition and science, tea captivates and motivates, promoting balance and serenity in our dynamic lives.

From its origins in lush tea estates to its presence in our daily rituals, tea remains a beloved companion, providing warmth, comfort, and a wealth of health benefits. Its enduring allure transcends time and borders, embodying the timeless connection between humans and nature. As we continue to explore the depths of tea’s potential, its journey serves as a testament to the enduring power of natural remedies in enhancing our overall well-being.

Paridhi Madhukallya

Delhi North '26

Paridhi Madhukallya is a student at IPCW majoring in Political Science Honours. She is actively involved in various NGOs and organizations. Apart from her academic pursuits, she has a passion for singing and enjoys listening to music in her free time.Paridhi enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, showcasing her culinary talents. As a dedicated K-drama enthusiast, she finds joy in exploring the captivating world of Korean dramas. Additionally, her playlist is filled with the energetic beats of K-pop, reflecting her eclectic taste in music. Paridhi's life is a delightful blend of flavor, music and the enchanting entertainment of Korean culture.