The Power Of Your Playlist & Symphony As A Healer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.

Maria Von Trapp

What if I told you that your playlist could solve thousands of your problems? Isn’t it strange how music becomes our best friend when there’s no one else around? Well, it’s been scientifically proven too that music can even heal physical pain. As humans, we all love to take moments of solace when we can listen to our favorite music. Amidst all the chaos and the busy life, music becomes our comfort space. We instantly forget all our worries and end up pondering either our favorite lyrics or what would have happened if that one song had been there for us. 

There are a variety of songs that people love engaging with, listening to their favorite music, and vibing simultaneously according to their personalities. It’s important to note here that today’s generation is already suffering from many problems, which unfortunately are not adequately discussed, but we are all affected in some way or another. For instance, as a college student and someone who has just entered her 20s, I have experienced a roller coaster of feelings in a very short period. I’ve interacted with many friends and peers of my age group, and their experiences have also led me to wonder that as humans, it is quite natural to go through a lot of emotions.

Our emotional experiences shape us into who we are and influence what we are meant to become. Mental health issues may have been normalized by some, but it is an area that must be dealt with great attention and care. Surely, there is a positive relationship between music engagement and mental health. Listening to music is like a way of maintaining your well-being. It often becomes your means of escape from the real world that might have caused you pain or stress. Music helps in healing physical pain and all the emotional traumas that a person often expresses in the form of grief or anger.

The report published in the journal Frontiers in Pain Research, recently stated that our favorite music, or the chilling effect and tingling which music produces, can help in healing physical pain. The pain was rated less intense when the participants were told to listen to their favorite music. This finding proves that humans can produce emotional responses while listening to music, indicating a positive correlation.

There have been many scientific studies and research endeavors in the past showing how music therapy helps humans. However, this recent survey is particularly significant as it highlights how music serves as a painkiller, adding a new dimension to the understanding of music’s therapeutic effects.

Well, it’s not been that long since COVID pandemic phase. We all faced it with utmost strength and many things happened during that time in our lives. With that isolation period and lockdown phase, we all witnessed loneliness and huge impact on our mental health. Many people got stranded because of the sudden outbreak of the pandemic and they were completely alone. There was not much interaction and when I try to recollect some memories of that time, the only thing I can think about is loneliness. Now, I would also like to cite a Report by WHO that was recently published, which announced a new epidemic in the world: loneliness. It was declared that 1 in every 4 adults is suffering from loneliness. This underscores the urgent need to acknowledge and address mental health issues as a serious problem. At an individual level, we are all entering new chapters of life. Even when surrounded by many people, we can still feel lonely. I mention this to emphasize the fact that in such circumstances, music can come to our rescue.

Amidst all this, I can admit this fact, that whenever it was a lonely phase or an awkward social interaction with someone, my immediate reaction was taking out my headphones and listening to my favourite song. There have been different songs in my life which have played an important role in enhancing my mood and also making me remember about the specific memory associated with it.

Der lagi lekin

Maine ab hai jeena seekh liya

Jaise bhi ho’n din

Maine ab hai jeena seekh liya

Ab maine….

Yeh jaana hai, khushi hai kya, gham kya..

Dono hi, do pal ki hai ruttein

Na yeh thehre na ruke

Zindagi do rangon se bane

Ab roothe, ab maane

Yehi toh hai, yehi toh hai, yahaan”

lyrical reference from the song “Der lagi lekin” from the movie ‘Zindagi na milegi dobara’

The above song is one of my favourites as it has been a song which has reminded me about the fact that it’s okay, if you’re facing many struggles in life. In this phase of adulting and a series of new transformations coming into our life should be taken as lessons. This is just one reference of music, how it affects your mind and teaches you one of the most deepest lessons to move forward in life. 

As I conclude, I’d like to share five songs from my playlist that have helped me survive through my lowest days, offering a ray of hope and filling my life with positivity. We all have playlists close to our hearts that instantly brighten our mood. Here are my top five (and yes, I’m a Bollywood fan!): 

• Gonna Be Okay” by Brent Morgan
  • Iktara” from Wake Up Sid

It was indeed very difficult for me to select my top 5 songs. But what I’m trying to reiterate here is that it’s important to take breaks. Music, for me, is such an integral part of my life because it’s indeed, a therapy and saviour for me. Whenever I felt lonely or worthless, or if there ever was a day when I questioned my decisions which I’ve taken in my life, I went on to listen to some of my favourite songs and just that, only that was the moment when I could finally regain my confidence. The lyrics of some songs leave a deep impact on our hearts and minds because of the emotional depth and intricate understanding of life and some common situations which we all generally face. 

I urge all of us not to be too harsh on ourselves and to take care of our souls in a rejuvenating manner. It’s time we take responsibility for our happiness and explore alternatives that act as relaxation techniques or therapeutic methods. Remember, “it’s okay to not be okay sometimes.” Trust me, we’re all in a transition phase, learning new things and stepping out of our comfort zones.

During our free time, we can all find peace in various ways, and for me, it’s always good music. It’s a vital component of my life that enhances my productivity and motivates me, especially during my lowest days. During exams, it’s like a saviour. Those 10-15 minutes of study breaks can be therapeutic if you’re listening to good music. 

Try it and believe it. :)

Samiksha Sharma is a Chapter Member of the Editorial Department at Her Campus Delhi North. In her journey of exploring different domains, she is inquisitive to write about entertainment, politics, concurrent issues, college life, and friendships. Besides this, she is a third year student of Political Science at Indraprastha College for Women. She was also the member of the Editorial team at National Service Scheme (NSS) Unit of IPCW and has written impactful articles for an NGO during her internship. She has also done an online content writing course with Terribly Tiny Tales (TTT) Official, and all of this has indeed awakened a passion for writing in her. In her free time, Samiksha enjoys watching Netflix, political satires and stand-ups on Youtube and other platforms, and listening to evergreen Bollywood songs and devotional music. She is a tea person who loves interacting with new people and exploring famous street food spots in and around Delhi-NCR. Besides all of this, she considers herself as a gastronome that loves cooking and would never say “no” to dancing or having discussions on politics, history and latest trends!