The Festive Spree: Christmas Markets In India 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

India is home to several Christmas markets. Yes, you heard that right! Christmas markets are festive, seasonal events typically held in the weeks leading up to Christmas. These markets originated in Germany and have become popular across Europe and other parts of the world. They feature stalls or booths selling a variety of holiday-themed goods, decorations, crafts, and traditional foods. Visitors can enjoy the festive atmosphere, indulge in seasonal treats, shop for unique gifts, and often participate in activities like ice skating or entertainment events. And what’s Christmas without markets which are known for their charming, festive ambiance and amazing shopping options? A little fun and shopping are just what you need to cherish the Christmas spirit.

Hence, if you’re looking to avoid watching the same holiday special rom-coms this year, then these Christmas markets are just the place for you! 

1. German Christmas Market in Delhi: 

In 2023, the German Christmas Market will take place on December 2 and 3 in the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium. The 24th edition of this eagerly anticipated festival is set to offer a vibrant array of colorful and enjoyable events. The Indo-German Chamber of Commerce (IGCC) organizes the event every year and more than 100 exhibitors take place in this event. There are beautiful Christmas trees and German chocolates are the highlight of this event. 

1. Sunday Soul Sante in Bangalore: 

It is Bangalore’s most loved flea market which will take place on December 17, 2023. About 150 stalls are set and it’s an amazing and vibrant event. 

1. Arpora Night Market in Goa: 

During the festive season of Christmas and New Year, Goa emerges as the ultimate tourist destination. The enchanting night markets at Arpora come alive with a delightful array of artistic Christmas presents and delectable food offerings. The ambiance is further heightened by the presence of live music, creating a truly festive and vibrant atmosphere that captivates visitors and adds to the joyous spirit of the celebrations at the Arpora Night Bazaar in Goa.

1. Police Bazaar Market in Shillong: 

Transforming into Santa’s enchanting town, Shillong in North East India undergoes a festive metamorphosis during Christmas. The vibrant energy radiates through the bustling Police Bazaar, adorned with a whimsical display of red and white balloons, creating a magical atmosphere that captures the spirit of the season. Streets come alive with a kaleidoscope of lights, and the air is filled with the infectious joy of the holidays, making Shillong a must-visit destination for those seeking the heartwarming charm of Christmas celebrations.

1. Park Street in Kolkata: 

As winter holidays embrace Kolkata, the city streets come alive with an infectious vibrancy. Park Street, in particular, transforms into a mesmerizing spectacle adorned with a kaleidoscope of colorful Christmas lights, setting the stage for a three-day carnival brimming with fervor. Amidst this illuminated extravaganza, one can indulge in a delightful array of culinary experiences, explore diverse shopping options, and partake in numerous fun-filled activities, making the festive season in Kolkata a truly immersive and unforgettable celebration for all.

So this Christmas, tag along with your friends and family to these exciting markets for a fun day out, filled with lots of shopping and memories!

Geshna Khattar

Delhi North '26

Geshna Khattar is a dynamic individual with a rich tapestry of talents and interests. She is an integral part of the editorial team at Her Campus for DU North Campus, where she contributes her creativity and insight to a wide range of content. Beyond her campus commitments, Geshna holds the esteemed position of Joint Secretary of the Placement Cell at Daulat Ram College. In this role, she plays a pivotal part in bridging the gap between students and prospective career opportunities, a testament to her dedication to the academic community. She is not only an academic achiever but also an accomplished sportsperson. She has clinched numerous state and national medals in fencing, showcasing her exceptional prowess and dedication in the sporting arena. Currently pursuing a B.A. (Hons) in Psychology at Delhi University, she exemplifies a commitment to both her education and athletic pursuits. However, Geshna's talents extend well beyond academics and sports. She is a devoted dog lover, cherishing moments with her loyal companion. Additionally, she has a deep passion for music, which serves as a source of inspiration and relaxation in her life. Moreover, Geshna is a gifted poet and artist. Through the medium of poetry and visual art, she channels her creativity and emotions. She is a multifaceted individual whose dedication to academics, sports, art, music, and her furry friend reflect a well-rounded and inspiring persona.