Life > Experiences

Thailand Travelogue: My Journey Through Culture, Cuisine, & Adventure

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Have you ever wandered through the bustling streets of Bangkok, enveloped in the aroma of sizzling street food and the vibrant chatter of locals bargaining at markets? Or stood in awe before the gilded spires of ancient temples, feeling the weight of centuries of history wash over you? Join me as I pen down my enchanting trip to Thailand, where every moment promises to unveil a new layer of wonder and discovery. Are you ready to immerse yourself in the enchanting beauty of the Land of Smiles?

I recently visited Thailand with my cousins. It was a mesmerizing experience! Thailand’s rich culture and citizen life were an amazing reminder of how differently people live across the globe. It was a 10-day-long trip and one of the best trips I’ve ever taken to this date. In the heart of Southeast Asia lies a land of vibrant culture, breathtaking landscapes, and tantalizing cuisine. Thailand, with its bustling cities, serene temples, and pristine beaches, offers an adventure like no other.

The trip began in the pulsating capital city of Bangkok. Here, ancient temples stand tall amidst modern skyscrapers, creating a fascinating juxtaposition of old and new. Our first stop was the iconic Grand Palace, a dazzling complex adorned with intricate architecture and shimmering golden spires. As we wandered through its hallowed halls and ornate courtyards, we were transported back in time to Thailand’s royal heritage.

After exploring the Grand Palace, we dove headfirst into Bangkok’s vibrant street food scene. From steaming bowls of aromatic noodle soup to crispy fried insects, the city’s bustling markets offered a feast for the senses. Don’t miss out on trying Pad Thai, a quintessential Thai dish made with stir-fried noodles, shrimp, tofu, and peanuts – a true explosion of flavors! For shopping, there were flea markets and big malls like Icon Siam, which offered a variety of goods. Just outside the mall was the ferry dock, a major transportation system for locals.

After two days in Bangkok, we left the city’s hustle and bustle to set our sights on the idyllic island of Phuket. With its pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and lush greenery, Phuket is the epitome of a tropical paradise. Our days here were spent lazing on the sun-kissed shores of Patong Beach, snorkeling in the vibrant coral reefs, and indulging in rejuvenating Thai massages.

For adrenaline junkies, Phuket offers a plethora of thrilling activities. We revved up our engines and hit the tracks at Patong Go-Kart Speedway, racing against the backdrop of sweeping ocean views. Later, we embarked on a sunset cruise around the picturesque Phang Nga Bay, marveling at the towering limestone cliffs and hidden lagoons that dotted the coastline.

No visit to Thailand would be complete without exploring its legendary islands, and Koh Phi Phi is a must-see on any traveler’s itinerary. Accessible only by boat, this archipelago boasts pristine beaches, emerald waters, and breathtaking viewpoints. Our days were spent hopping between the islands, snorkeling amidst colorful marine life, and soaking up the laid-back island vibe. I woke up at 6 am to prepare and leave for this amazing journey. One of the highlights of my time in Koh Phi Phi was a hike to the viewpoint overlooking Maya Bay, made famous by the movie The Beach. As we trekked through lush jungle trails, we were rewarded with panoramic vistas of turquoise bays and towering cliffs – a sight that took our breath away! Despite feeling drained at the end of the day, the stunning views I witnessed on the island made it all worthwhile.

The last place we visited was Hua Hin Island. Nestled along the Gulf of Thailand, Hua Hin is renowned for its pristine beaches, azure waters, and laid-back atmosphere. Stepping off the boat onto its shores, we were greeted by the gentle sway of palm trees and the soothing sound of waves lapping against the shore. Our days there were spent basking in the sun on the powdery sands of Hua Hin Beach, indulging in leisurely swims and beachside picnics. For those seeking adventure, the island offered thrilling water sports such as snorkeling, kayaking, and windsurfing, allowing us to explore the vibrant underwater world teeming with marine life. As the sun set in a blaze of orange and pink hues, we gathered around beachside bonfires, savoring fresh seafood delicacies and sharing stories under the starlit sky. Hua Hin Island was a sanctuary of serenity, where time seemed to stand still, and every moment was a chance to reconnect with nature and oneself. For me, Hua Hin was a very peaceful and ineffably beautiful place that I would visit again to escape the hustle and bustle of my normal life.

Exploring Thailand’s stunning natural landscapes, I quickly realized the vital importance of environmental conservation and sustainable tourism practices. From the lush greenery to the pristine beaches of Koh Phi Phi, the country’s beauty is both a treasure and a responsibility. Participating in eco-friendly activities like elephant sanctuaries and community-based tourism initiatives provided not only memorable experiences but also a deep appreciation for preserving these natural wonders. Sustainable tourism ensures that future generations can continue to marvel at Thailand’s breathtaking environment, underscoring the essential balance between exploration and preservation.

The trip was an amazing experience despite Thai food not suiting my taste buds and encountering difficulty in finding good food easily. However, Thai desserts were my favorite! I embarked on a delectable journey of taste, sampling an array of exotic ice creams, with Thai sweets leaving my taste buds dancing with delight. From the creamy indulgence of coconut ice cream served in a freshly-cut coconut shell to the tantalizing tang of mango sticky rice ice cream, each spoonful transported me to culinary paradise. I also tried the heavenly delights of Khanom Mo Kaeng, a luscious Thai custard, and the melt-in-your-mouth bliss of Kanom Krok, bite-sized coconut pancakes. With every bite, I savored the rich flavors and intricate textures that define Thailand’s vibrant culinary landscape, each treating a sweet symphony of tradition and innovation.

As our journey through Thailand came to an end, we were left with memories of breathtaking landscapes, mouthwatering cuisine, and warm hospitality. From the bustling streets of Bangkok to the tranquil shores of Koh Phi Phi, this enchanting country has captured our hearts and left an indelible mark on our souls.

Thailand truly is the land of smiles – a place where every moment is an adventure waiting to be discovered.

Geshna Khattar

Delhi North '26

Geshna Khattar is a dynamic individual with a rich tapestry of talents and interests. She is an integral part of the editorial team at Her Campus for DU North Campus, where she contributes her creativity and insight to a wide range of content. Beyond her campus commitments, Geshna holds the esteemed position of Joint Secretary of the Placement Cell at Daulat Ram College. In this role, she plays a pivotal part in bridging the gap between students and prospective career opportunities, a testament to her dedication to the academic community. She is not only an academic achiever but also an accomplished sportsperson. She has clinched numerous state and national medals in fencing, showcasing her exceptional prowess and dedication in the sporting arena. Currently pursuing a B.A. (Hons) in Psychology at Delhi University, she exemplifies a commitment to both her education and athletic pursuits. However, Geshna's talents extend well beyond academics and sports. She is a devoted dog lover, cherishing moments with her loyal companion. Additionally, she has a deep passion for music, which serves as a source of inspiration and relaxation in her life. Moreover, Geshna is a gifted poet and artist. Through the medium of poetry and visual art, she channels her creativity and emotions. She is a multifaceted individual whose dedication to academics, sports, art, music, and her furry friend reflect a well-rounded and inspiring persona.