Life > Experiences

Splendid Years Of College: A Door To Reflections & Experiences

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

In the last few weeks, I’ve been coming across several graduation reels from around India. It was truly heartwarming to witness people’s college memories – those beautiful compilations, and long captions. This feeling is universal, and even though everybody’s experiences differ, the bond of being on campus and creating countless memories ties us together. It’s like an emotional roller coaster that requires time to process. Being in my final semester, I believe now is the perfect time to express my sentiments, and I’m confident that you’ll be able to relate to them. At some point, you might have disliked your college for various reasons, which seems funny now. As students, we’ve felt the pressure of exams and assignments, scoring good marks, and attending lectures every day. However, when I look back, I can proudly say that so far, this has been the most beautiful chapter of my life. Even after many years, when I try to recollect memories of my college life, my eyes will only sparkle with joy and emotion.

This reminds me of the famous Dialogue from Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, “takleef hui, lekin iss baat ki khushi thi ki mein apne saath waapis yaadon ka ek bada sa suitcase lekar jaa rhi thi jinhe mein kabhi nahi bhul paaungi. Woh din, woh raatein, woh hasi, woh masti, woh dosti.” (English translation:- Although it was painful, I am happy to take a suitcase of unforgettable memories with me – the laughs, the friendships, the fun, and the love from those days and nights). The dialogue perfectly reflects my current mood and it’s strange how quickly our undergraduate years go by. It feels like my college started only a few days ago! Still, there is an element of commonality that makes us realize that we experienced several moments in college that we’ll cherish forever. Those unexpected hangout plans, bunking lectures, therapeutic conversations with friends, and assuring each other to not stress about life. At this stage, people near and dear advise us to cherish our time in college as it won’t come again. I now wholeheartedly agree with people who emphasize the importance of making each day in college count.

Entering college marks the beginning of a new phase of life. It is not just an ordinary event but a significant transition from being a schoolchild or teenager to becoming an adult. This sudden realization comes with a bundle of responsibilities and expectations. In my opinion, these years are transformative and can completely change a person. My college provided me the space to explore the world, reflect, and observe, It gave me the freedom to take charge of my decisions. These years helped me prepare for future struggles. Before college, I was extremely underconfident, full of self-doubt, and hesitant. However, during college, I finally gave myself the space to grow and learn. I was no longer fearful of rejection and tried my best to explore new opportunities, meet new people, and persevere. It’s important to remember that one of the most valuable lessons college teaches us is to avoid comparison with others. When we do this, we can become dissatisfied and doubtful of our abilities. Instead, we should seize the opportunity to learn from a diverse array of people we meet on campus. A college is filled with individuals with a wide range of talents and capabilities. We can learn something new from each of them.

One of the best decisions I ever made was to enroll in an all-girls college. I don’t exaggerate when I say that my experiences have taught me the value of female friendships and the comfort I always felt around them. These experiences were unique and heartwarming. People often have misconceptions about all-girls colleges. These prejudices include the presence of jealousy, temporary friendships, and rude behavior, but I have genuinely never experienced any of these. The people I met were amazing, and the friends I made have become the most significant people in my life. I didn’t always have a positive perspective on friendships and had trust issues, but my girlfriends changed my opinion. They made me realize the true meaning of friendships, particularly during the adulting phase, where they held patience while I was healing. They viewed my lows and my anti-social phases as lessons I needed to learn. They were always happy and proud of my achievements, and they motivated me to grow and achieve my goals. More than anything, they made me better, and that’s why college friends are unique, precious, and irreplaceable.

To this end, I’d like to share my experiences of traveling by the Delhi metro. I reside 1.5-2 hours away from college. Thus, at times, commuting can get quite tiring. But, it also gives me a chance to make interesting observations. I normally choose to take the metro’s ‘ladies’ coach’ since it feels safer and more comfortable. This made me realize that women are truly unique creatures—they are the sweetest and kindest people you’ll meet. Of course, there are times when you might come across videos of women fighting or shouting in the Delhi Metro on social media, but we shouldn’t generalize simply based on these incidents. What I’ve come to appreciate is that good and kind people still exist in this world. One incident that stands out in my memory is when I had a leg ligament injury and was struggling to find a seat on a crowded metro. A kind lady offered me her seat that day, which may have seemed like a small gesture to her, but it made my day! I was filled with gratitude and couldn’t stop smiling for the rest of my journey. These little things make me wonder: how different would the world be if everyone were sweet, considerate, kind, and gentle? It would be an amazing place to live in! Traveling by metro has made me more bold and aware of myself. Many a time, I travel alone to faraway places. This has instilled confidence within me. Also, while traveling during peak hours, I have noticed many tired faces of people struggling to earn a living. I have overheard conversations where people are managing multiple affairs and multitasking, at times forgetting to take care of themselves while hustling through life. Life can be tough, but it’s up to us to find happiness amidst busyness.

Finally, I would like to quote a dialogue from the movie Rang De Basanti, “College di gate de is taraf hum life ko nachate hai… Te dooji taraf life humko nachati hai”. This means that during our college years, we enjoy the freedom to make decisions that shape our lives. However, after college ends, our lives change drastically. We are no longer the sole decision-makers and are instead guided by destiny and the responsibilities that come with adulthood. It inspires a reflection on the fact that during our time in college, we have the opportunity to discover and learn new things while also enjoying ourselves to the fullest. We start to face hurdles in life, and friendships can change along with people. Our destiny ultimately becomes the center of our lives. Amidst the challenges that we face in college, it prepares us for the outside world, which also comes with its own set of challenges. As a result, we often cherish our college memories the most. Let’s bid farewell to the Batch of 2024 and wish them all the best in their future endeavors.

Samiksha Sharma is a Chapter Member of the Editorial Department at Her Campus Delhi North. In her journey of exploring different domains, she is inquisitive to write about entertainment, politics, concurrent issues, college life, and friendships. Besides this, she is a third year student of Political Science at Indraprastha College for Women. She was also the member of the Editorial team at National Service Scheme (NSS) Unit of IPCW and has written impactful articles for an NGO during her internship. She has also done an online content writing course with Terribly Tiny Tales (TTT) Official, and all of this has indeed awakened a passion for writing in her. In her free time, Samiksha enjoys watching Netflix, political satires and stand-ups on Youtube and other platforms, and listening to evergreen Bollywood songs and devotional music. She is a tea person who loves interacting with new people and exploring famous street food spots in and around Delhi-NCR. Besides all of this, she considers herself as a gastronome that loves cooking and would never say “no” to dancing or having discussions on politics, history and latest trends!