DROPS ON MY WINDOW SILL: CELEBRATING THE DANCE OF RAIN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

As I sit here, pen in hand, with the gentle pitter-patter of raindrops on my window sill. I love every bit of this moment – every sniff of the moist air, the scent of wet flowers, and each of those waves of breeze that bring in dew droplets along. Rainy days have always held a special place in my heart. One of my favorite rainy day rituals is to sit by the window, looking at the courtyard outside, sipping some steaming tea, and writing. What else is heaven, if not this? And thus, here I am, writing about another lovely day of rain – the memory which I would want to preserve forever, in these words.

There is something so inherently poetic about rain, about the raindrops on the window sill. Each droplet is like a tiny masterpiece, glistening with poetry and beauty- the beauty of simplicity. These raindrops teach me the joy of embracing the simple little moments. Like a butterfly flying around or the rainbow after a beautiful rain shower. I would never ask for anything after a low day, other than serene rains. The rain washes away the dust of my life. The colors seem more vibrant, the air crispier, and the world becomes a work of art. While I continue romanticizing these rains, I play some music.

Music and rain are kindred spirits. Music infuses the room and raindrops dance on the window – there is perfect harmony in everything about this moment. This harmony is like a soothing balm. Drops of water twirl in the air, while I hum and write. In this ethereal moment, there’s a profound sense of connection—with nature, with the music, and with my inner world. In this interplay of music and raindrops, I find solace, inspiration, and a deep sense of wonder. This moment reminds me of how art knows no boundaries; it transcends all confines. Art lives in the rain. And while it pours down, it comes to us in the form of bliss. Ultimately, cascading onto this diary that I write.

From Van Gogh‘s “Rain – Auvers” to Emily Dickinson‘s “Summer Shower“; from Kalidasa‘s “Meghaduta” to Kishore da‘s “Rimjhim Gire Saawan“- In the hush of a rain-kissed world, artists have always found their muse. A gentle patter of droplets upon the earth has always become a whisper to their souls. Rains have inspired everyone – writers have weaved tales of love and longing, musicians have celebrated its beauty, and painters have captured the glistening streets. The world has forever been guided by the dance of rain. As each drop kisses the earth, it shares secrets of tranquility. There’s peace in the tender, soothing touch of the rain.

Rain, to me, will always be an ever-present muse. And this time, like every other time, these drops sit on my window sill, dancing with joy and calling out my name. Waiting to be celebrated.

Arushi Sethi

Delhi North '24

Arushi Sethi is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus at Delhi North. She is a part of the Content Writing team, writing and exploring a plethora of genres in her writings for the website including lifestyle, entertainment, fashion, wellness and culture. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year English Literature student at Hansraj College, University of Delhi. She is currently serving as the Content Editor for Willow – the journal of The English Society of Hansraj College, and has previously served as the Editor-in-Chief for Credence Foundation, a non-profit organization. Furthermore, she is a member of the Editorial Wing of Kavyanjali – the Poetry Society of Hansraj College, and Ostraca – the Creative Writing Society. She has also written for Hans, the college magazine of Hansraj College. And with a vast experience of participating and chairing in several Model United Nations Conferences, both as a Journalist and Executive Board, she also holds a keen interest and grip over journalistic writings. Being a poet, content writer, blogger & editor, she is constantly exploring newer ways to fulfil her passion for words. For her, there is bliss in reading, writing, listening to music, singing and playing the piano.