XBadSkincareHabits HeroImage?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
XBadSkincareHabits HeroImage?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

The perfect morning skincare routine for men

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

For most men, taking care of their skin is considered to be a taboo because of the false notion that skincare is feminine and just for women (it’s time to break the stereotypes, woohoo!) However, skincare for men is as important as it is for women. Men are often shy about their morning routines and a number of them still stick to basic soap and shampoo. Starting a morning skincare routine may seem to be difficult since you might be new to it. But worry no more, Her Campus Delhi North is to your rescue. So, get set boys because your skin deserves more than just soap. Having a morning routine for yourself is necessary for healthy, refreshing, and glowing skin. As they say, why should girls have all the fun!

Disclaimer: People have different types of skins. This is just a very basic guide to skincare; an accurate one can only be given by a dermatologist.

Step 1: Splash Away Mister!

Throughout the day our skin is exposed to different types of pollution, germs, and dust that sticks to our face. In addition to that, excess oil and dead cells naturally accumulate in our pores. Using a face wash becomes essential as it helps you to maintain an acne-free, bright face. Apply the face wash on your face and rub it in a gentle circular motion. Don’t forget to apply it to your beard too! Bonus – You can use the face wash as a shaving cream too. The whole process takes less than 30 seconds. You can also use combinations of homemade ingredients to clean your skin like milk and honey, lemon and sugar, and honey and curd. You can make a thick paste out of the ingredients and apply it on your face. Don’t forget to do a patch test on your skin first!

Step 2: Where the Moisture at?

Once you have cleansed your skin, it’s time to protect and hydrate your face. The moisturiser provides a protective barrier to your skin by preventing clogging of pores and acting as a guard against bacteria.

Always use a moisturizer before you leave the house. If your skin is oily, use a gel-based moisturizer and if your skin is drier, use cream-based ones to make sure your skin is thoroughly hydrated. For all skin types, you should increase the amount applied during winters. Low temperatures slow down the process of the natural oils produced by the skin. 

In addition to moisturizer, applying eye cream is crucial too, especially if you have dark circles and wrinkled eyes. The skin around and under your eyes has fewer oil glands, meaning that it doesn’t produce natural oils like the rest of your face. This can lead to dryness which later turns into fine lines and puffiness. Eyes are one of the first places where signs of ageing manifest. So if you are in your mid-twenties, you better watch out. In addition to this don’t forget to have a proper sleep of 8 hours every night!

Step 3: Protec from the sun

You should apply sunscreen every day, even on the days you don’t go out much. The UV rays from the sun can not only cause skin cancer, wrinkles, sunburns but are one of the major factors behind the skin’s ageing. Applying sunscreen daily is the most efficacious anti-ageing product you can use. Even though sunscreen can feel sticky, this step is a ‘must follow’ in your routine. Look for a sunscreen with a higher SPF (Sun Protection Factor) value such as SPF 15 ( blocks 93% of UV rays) or SPF 50 ( blocks 98% of UV rays). Also, take note that it should have skin-hydrating ingredients which will make your skin better. 

Also, don’t forget your lips! They need protection from UV rays too; applying lip balm makes your lips soft, smooth, and healthy. Make sure that your lip balm has a good SPF as well. The best part of lip balms is that they make your overall appearance charming. You can carry your perfect smile whilst you protect them. 

Apart from the above, following pointers for the extra-mile goers:

• Clean your ears regularly, it takes less than 2 mins.

• Use a scrub to exfoliate your skin at least twice a week. It helps you to get rid of the toxins in your skin.

• Try wearing comfortable clothing with the correct fabrics such as cotton

• Try to drink as much as water as possible, it will not only make your skin glow but will make your body much healthier.

Bonus I : Haircare Tips

The way you present your hair says a lot about your personality. For instance, it tells people whether you are a messy or clean person. If you don’t have time for proper shampooing and conditioning, a quick way to make your hair look good is to either dampen a towel and rinse it and rub your head with it or apply a sea salt spray. Let your hair absorb the applied material and water. 

After a while, you can simply comb your hair and you are good to go! Another thing that you can try is adding a little styling cream, especially if your hair is three inches or longer. It creates a huge change in your appearance. 

The best possible way to shave is to do it before or in the shower. A quality shave cream or gel is the key to an amazing shave. Avoid alcohol-based products, they can dry out your skin easily. Try to look for moisturizing ingredients such as glycerine. You can also look for products that contain ingredients such as marshmallow and green tea. Make sure you use the right type of product for your skin. Use warm water to lather up your cream or gel. Then stick to long, even strokes to move the razor in the direction of hair growth—this is the best tactic for preventing razor burns and ingrown hair.  

Bonus II: The Secret Ingredient

Last but not least – the cologne. The elegance and charisma and the way you carry yourself can all be affected by the cologne you use. Always try to use a strong but not so strong cologne. Don’t forget to carry it on the go! 

So what are you waiting for? Start with this routine and see the difference yourself. 

It hardly takes around five minutes but it makes you look and feel 100 times better, trust us when we say it! And remember, Life isn’t perfect, but your skin can be! 

A literature student from Delhi University. An artist, a bibliophile and an aspiring writer, an enthusiast for learning and growing as a person <3