Career

Organizing 101: How to create effective to-do lists and be productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

The moment we step out of the comfy gates of the school, we all aim to ‘adult like a pro’. Hustling and struggling become our favorite sport. While we were all busy rushing through our mundane lives, unfortunately (fortunately for those who needed a break) the world was hit by a pandemic. From baking banana bread to brewing Dalgona coffee, we kept up with all the trends but above all, we tried to be productive. Eventually, doing nothing became our comfort zone. Now when our lives are coming back on track, we are still struggling with productivity. We have so much on our plate that we end up creating unrealistic to-do lists which in turn end up demotivating us. To help you master the art of productivity, HCDN has come to your rescue. Read on to know more!

Give yourself space to organize

We are all aware of the famous phrase, “The one who fails to plan, plans to fail”. It’s time to take out a notepad or two from your pile and put them to use! It’s best to set aside some time, preferably before sleeping to plan your day ahead. This way you’ll not only be organized but also be motivated to get out of bed on time!

Have more than one to-do lists

No, we are not crazy maniacs who have lists pinned throughout our boards (or maybe we are)! But don’t you think that having one long list (which is not a shopping list) will awaken the procrastinator inside you? Try maintaining the following category of lists to make every day a bit easier:

~ A master list: Just as the name suggests, this is the long, never-ending list. Add anything and everything to this, be it cleaning your room or enrolling in a class. The moment a chore strikes your mind, jot it down here. It can later be adjusted into the smaller lists. 

~ A weekly project list: Now is the time to analyze your master list and have your 7 days plan laid right in front of your eyes. Add everything that you wish to fulfill throughout the coming week. 

If this does not satisfy you, break down the tasks into daily project lists. The more the number of lists, the merrier!

Balancing the Yin and Yang

We are sure that this term is not foreign to you!  Yin and Yang are two halves that complete wholeness. To be at the peak of your productivity, you cannot work like a robot. Human beings need a break to restore their energy. Limit yourself to 3-5 tasks per day, don’t overwork, and save some time to treat yourself for being productive. Be it hanging out with your friends or a bubble bath, find your self-care method and stick to it!

Don’t trust your memory

“I’ll remember this. I don’t have to write it.” is perhaps, the biggest lie we tell ourselves. Snap out of denial and accept that you cannot remember everything. So, to save yourself from last-minute anxiety, note down everything that comes to your mind. If grabbing a notebook is not a feasible option, write it on your phone.

Batch similar tasks together

A bird in hand is better than two in the bush! If you plan to strike two tasks together off your list, you might end up striking none. When you have multiple tasks of a similar nature, batch them together and complete them in continuation. If you have to research on 2 topics and maybe go shopping, do it in this order to avoid losing energy in changing tasks. It’s just like batching dry and wet ingredients before clubbing them together while baking a cake!

Ease it with Eisenhower matrix

No, we are not here to stress you out with a Math concept. This is the life lesson of productivity! According to this method, your tasks can be divided and clubbed into 4 parts:

~ Urgent and important

~ Important but not urgent

~ Urgent but not important

~ Neither urgent nor important

The Eisenhower matrix has been the longest kept and lesser-known secret towards productivity. Appreciate it while you make the most of your days!

We hope that we shot up your adrenaline levels and your inner Monica Geller or Amy Santiago is super excited to organize things. Besides, the satisfaction of striking a task after completing it cannot be matched! Don’t forget to plan your next day before hitting the bed tonight!

Jaisleen Kaur

Delhi North '21

Just an ordinary DU student, making her way through life with writing!