Culture > News

“Nari Shakti”: A Showcase Of Prowess & Talent At India’s 75th Republic Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Note: The term ‘Nari Shakti’ is used to describe women taking charge of their own lives.

It was a historic day for me to witness India’s 75th Republic Day celebrations live on television. Since childhood, watching the Republic Day parade has been a tradition for me. Trust me, it feels surreal every time! I experience a synergy of patriotism that positively overwhelms me. I have always been proud of being a citizen of India, and this time, it was special. I am not exaggerating, as it truly moved me. As a woman, I had tears of joy witnessing women showcase their strength and prowess during the Republic Day Parade. The parade symbolizes the diversity and strength of the country and remembers the brave martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the nation. It includes bestowing bravery awards to military personnel and citizens. The parade also celebrates India’s unity in diversity through its regional tableaus.

In a world where women have struggled in every sphere due to the consequences of patriarchy, it is important to acknowledge that women’s experiences tend to be gendered. My heart was genuinely full when 2024’s parade had a staggering display of women’s empowerment. The Republic Day celebrations exceptionally showcased the power of women, with more than 80% of the parade activities being centered around women. This year’s parade, based on the themes ‘Viksit Bharat’ (developed India) and ‘Bharat-Loktantra ki Matruka’ (India, mother of democracy), was a grand display of women’s power and cultural vibrancy. It had several historic firsts, starting with the departure from traditions, where the President of India, Droupadi Murmu, and the Chief Guest for the Republic Day Parade, French President Emmanuel Macron, arrived in a horse-drawn presidential carriage after 40 years. Here’s a rundown of the key highlights from the parade!

The parade began at 10:30 a.m. on January 26, 2024. When all the guests finally arrived, everybody stood patiently waiting for Major Saumya Shukla to unveil our national flag. This was followed by the national anthem and a 21-gun salute.

During the parade, a group of 112 women artists played a variety of instruments, such as the shankh (divine conch shell), nadaswaram (a wind instrument from South India), nagada (a type of drum), and many more. Their beautiful and intricate performance left everyone mesmerized. It was also a powerful message about the importance of showcasing our cultural diversity through folk music and tribal percussion. This was the first time such a group had been invited to herald the parade. 

The major highlight of the parade was an all-women tri-service contingent led by Captain Sandhya of the Army Military Police. The contingent of Delhi Police and Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) also had female personnel

The Defense Secretary rightfully praised this year’s parade, noting that it was the best representation of women. One noteworthy addition was the Pinaka Multiple Launcher Rocket System, which is a medium-range, all-weather, free-flight artillery rocket system developed and manufactured indigenously. It was led by Lt. Priyanka Sevda of the 262 Field Regiment. Additionally, the Women Armed Forces Medical Contingent, led by Maj. Shristhi Khullar was present for the first time. The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Women Bikers also showcased their daredevilry at the Kartavya Path.

Several tableau presentations at the Republic Day parade highlighted the influential role of women in society. For example, the Haryana tableau exhibited Haryanavi women holding digital devices to promote the government’s Digital India Initiative. The Madhya Pradesh tableau showcased the state’s first female fighter pilot, Avani Chaturvedi, along with women working in various sectors. Similarly, the tableaus of Odisha and Rajasthan portrayed the achievements of women’s empowerment, their participation in the handloom industry, and their festive culture.

All of the aforementioned representations and activities undertaken on the occasion of India’s 75th Republic Day celebrations awakened a new visualization inside my mind: courageous and empowered, women are more than capable of doing any task with great perfection, and yes, indeed, this is my new India, my new Bharat!

Samiksha Sharma is a Chapter Member of the Editorial Department at Her Campus Delhi North. In her journey of exploring different domains, she is inquisitive to write about entertainment, politics, concurrent issues, college life, and friendships. Besides this, she is a third year student of Political Science at Indraprastha College for Women. She was also the member of the Editorial team at National Service Scheme (NSS) Unit of IPCW and has written impactful articles for an NGO during her internship. She has also done an online content writing course with Terribly Tiny Tales (TTT) Official, and all of this has indeed awakened a passion for writing in her. In her free time, Samiksha enjoys watching Netflix, political satires and stand-ups on Youtube and other platforms, and listening to evergreen Bollywood songs and devotional music. She is a tea person who loves interacting with new people and exploring famous street food spots in and around Delhi-NCR. Besides all of this, she considers herself as a gastronome that loves cooking and would never say “no” to dancing or having discussions on politics, history and latest trends!