October To-Watch List: Movie Marathon for Bookworms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Are you a book person, a movie person or are you both? Have you ever felt so overwhelmed while reading a book for your upcoming exams that you ended up watching its movie instead? Have you ever liked a movie so much that you were compelled to read the book on which it’s based? If you’re any of these, then you’ve landed at the right place!

Movies have always been an interesting escape from the realities of life. They get even better when they are based on some classics that you read long ago. The detailed description of the book, combined with the visual representation of the movie, pushes the mind to witness the story in front of one’s eyes, blurring the differences between reality and fantasy. Catering to this, the following are a few movie recommendations that are based on classic novels and are an absolute must-watch:

THE COLOR PURPLE (1985)

This movie is a coming-of-age period drama based on the novel by Alice Walker. Directed by Steven Spielberg, this movie weaves the story of an African American young girl by covering aspects like sexism, racism, poverty and sexual harassment. The movie has been portrayed by a very well-acted cast. It sheds light on the issues faced by African American women in the 20th century. It depicts the story of Celie, who grows up in an environment of abuse and oppression but goes against all odds to find her independence and delivers the message of gender equality, which makes this movie a masterpiece. The movie might make one angry and uncomfortable at certain points but is absolutely worth the watch.

SCHINDLER’S LIST (1993)

Any list containing cinematic adaptations of literary works is incomplete without this film. Directed by Steven Spielberg yet again (Isn’t it obvious that the writer is obsessed with Spielberg and his films?), this movie was based on the non-fiction novel Schindler’s Ark (1982) by novelist Thomas Keneally. The film is set in Nazi Germany and throws light on the story of how a man saved several Jewish refugees from the infamous Holocaust. The movie was acclaimed by critics and the audience because of how brilliantly the historical details were portrayed through raw and genuine scenes. The movie was well researched and managed to give the viewers the chills by making them relive the gore situation of that time.

LIFE OF PI (2012)

This film is a wonderful adventure story directed and produced by Ang Lee. Based on Yann Martel‘s 2001 novel of the same name, this movie has visually appealing imagery. If you are a person who pays a lot of attention to cinematography and visual representation, this film is for you! Beautifully crafted by the crew, it’s a therapy to the eyes of the watcher. A number of emotions are communicated through the visual aspects of the movie. It hints toward deep introspection and is energizing for the viewers as it brilliantly pushes forth the message of not losing hope despite the difficulties in life.

TWELVE YEARS A SLAVE (2013)

This movie is a biographical drama film directed by Steve McQueen, based on a slave memoir, Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup, who was an African American subjected to slavery after being kidnapped by two men. The movie throws light upon the institution of slavery and the treatment of slaves in the Southern states of the USA. A justified representation of the memoir, along with an accurate historical portrayal of the events, makes this piece of art stand out. It’s a very bold attempt to showcase the barbarity of the institution of slavery, justified by the fine performance of the actors involved in the movie.

LITTLE WOMEN (2019)

Little Women is a recently made coming-of-age period drama adaptation directed by Greta Gerwig based on the book by Louisa May Alcott. The movie garnered a lot of attention due to its star-studded cast comprising Timothée Chalamet, Meryl Streep, Emma Watson and many more. It was an interesting take on reliving the timeless classic. It made the viewers feel a range of emotions throughout the film. On a personal level, the sincerity, authenticity and thoughtful approach to the film made it stand out. The things that made me admire the film are the bond that the sisters share, how they accompany each other when their father is out to war and how beautifully they manage to be happy with what they have.

Well, that’s the end! Now, it’s time for you to binge-watch them and get back to us! We sincerely hope you enjoy your weekend watching these. Moreover, some brownie points to all the movieworms who have watched these already!

Shamiksha Mallick

Delhi North '23

Hi, this is Shamiksha, chapter contributor at Her Campus Delhi North who is also a history and heritage enthusiast and a person who enjoys binge watching! :)